Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
17 Likes  
Finally some foxes
Posted By: normhead, 02-18-2016, 06:21 PM

K-3 and DA*60-250
ISO 400, ƒ5.6, AV

After many attempts to find this fox, and many miles driven, I finally got some fox images.

Views: 2,891
02-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Nice work. You pretty much captured a day in the life of a fox.

#1. Nervous.
#2. #3. #5. Focused.
#4. On the move.
#6. Busted.

Only thing missing is eating and evacuating and those don't always make the best images anyway. Smile
I was in the area for a couple hours as it came and went about it's business.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Only wild fox I've seen is years before I even thought of owning a DSLR...
I have one that comes through my back yard every now and then. I've seen him twice and never photographed him. This is a park fox.

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
awesome set - excellent job +1
Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
Great pics! Now tell me please, do you think the fox knew you were there from the beginning? My own experience with these guys is that once they are aware- they're gone, regardless of whether there's any food. They are so sensitive to everything, that a person can be proud when they can get close enough for a photo, even with a good tele.
The fox knew I was there. You aren't going to get this close to an animal that doesn't have some degree of habituation. See the above. The thing is, to a wild animal, we stink. If he does want us to see him or her, we won't. Unless you're doing that downwind stalking thing, that's never worked for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

You are getting really good at this, not that you never were but they are particularly nice and the colour is accurate too. The 60-250 is a gem, isn't it.

If you want to shoot more foxes come to Melbourne, ours have been urbanised and don't show too much apprehension towards people. They are in fact becoming a bit of a plague and are killing native wildlife. But they mainly operate at night. They were introduced by the pommies (Brits) for their traditional fox hunts during early settlement. (Like so many exotic animals which don't belong here.)

Cheers
The thing I like about this guy, is I got him in the snow... I'm not sure that would work in Melbourne, but thanks for suggesting it.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Congrats, Norm!
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Thanks for sharing, those are outstanding shots. We used to have some fox in our neighborhood. It was nice, we had no rabbits in the garden then. Now, apparently the fox were hit by cars and it's been long enough to allow rabbits to migrate into the area. I used to know where one family lived, that rubble was cleared and they lost that den. I hope they weren't in the den, now that I think about it.
The man who owned our property before us fed a couple of fox kits on our porch the spring before we moved here. However they both were killed by cars on the road during their first summer. Unlike the above mentioned Melbourne foxes, our habituated foxes seem to be really poor at traffic avoidance skills.

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
A handsome animal well captured. Great photos.
Thanks.

02-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Worth the effort for sure Norm. Love the third one.
02-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks slowpez..
02-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
Great pics! Now tell me please, do you think the fox knew you were there from the beginning? My own experience with these guys is that once they are aware- they're gone, regardless of whether there's any food. They are so sensitive to everything, that a person can be proud when they can get close enough for a photo, even with a good tele.
Years ago, there was a fox den not far from my house. I'd walk up there, & wait; sometimes for hours & finally, the babies started coming out. Got some great photos! This is a 16x20 that I made in my darkroom, & still hangs on my wall!

I hear fox cries here just about every night, so the presence of humans, plus a dog hasn't keep them away.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by csa; 02-19-2016 at 12:29 PM.
02-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Those are really good shots Norm. I'd love to have some of those around here. I see one every so often, but it is very infrequent.

Would you be interested in a trade? I've got raccoons galore around here. I counted 6 the other night......all looking for a free meal....

Regards!...really enjoyed those shots!
02-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm, I forgot to add, fantastic photos; I especially like 2nd from last, but all are great!
02-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
all looking for a free meal...
Obviously with some success. :~)

02-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Years ago, there was a fox den not far from my house. I'd walk up there, & wait; sometimes for hours & finally, the babies started coming out. Got some great photos! This is a 16x20 that I made in my darkroom, & still hangs on my wall!

I hear fox cries here just about every night, so the presence of humans, plus a dog hasn't keep them away.
We know there's a den around here somewhere, but it's been a few years since there was evidence of pups.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Those are really good shots Norm. I'd love to have some of those around here. I see one every so often, but it is very infrequent.

Would you be interested in a trade? I've got raccoons galore around here. I counted 6 the other night......all looking for a free meal....

Regards!...really enjoyed those shots!
We prefer Pine Martens and Foxes, they help keep the squirrel population down.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Norm, I forgot to add, fantastic photos; I especially like 2nd from last, but all are great!
Thanks..

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Obviously with some success. :~)
Careful. Rupert will invent a racoon named Brutus or something. He'll be posting conversations between the squirrel and the racoon.
02-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

A nice looking critter Norm. Well done---Zapper
02-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Beautiful series, your dedication definitely reaped exceptional photos!
These should be hanging on your wall in the living room!
02-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #26

Great photos Norm, your efforts have paid off ! You do realize you have raised the bar a notch and we expect more.
Dave
02-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wow, those are great. beautiful critter
02-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A nice looking critter Norm. Well done---Zapper
Thanks zapper

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Gotzy Quote
Beautiful series, your dedication definitely reaped exceptional photos!
These should be hanging on your wall in the living room!
Since we used to sell more since have many images we never sold, that's a pretty tight rotation to get into. Sometimes I feel like a museum curator.

QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
Great photos Norm, your efforts have paid off ! You do realize you have raised the bar a notch and we expect more.
Dave
We were wondering about that, I have a book nearing completion, three copies of the second draft are on the way here, I needed a good fox photo. With that finally accomplished I'm left thinking, what next? Not having a good fox photo has been an issue for so long, I literally don't know what to go out and shoot for tomorrow. At one point I was thinking of asking my buddy Steve Dunsford who also does park photography if I could use one of his. I'm so happy it never came to that.

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalker19 Quote
wow, those are great. beautiful critter

Thanks of commenting.
02-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Superb.. that first one is a genuine wall hanger with a great pose and nice warm light.
02-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #30

Awesome set! Well done!