Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
My first successful attempt to light up the moon.
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Minneapolis ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: LeDave, 02-20-2016, 06:45 PM

I just received my new 55-300, so I was testing it on the moon after googling a ton of times on how to do it right, sadly that's not the problem. I must be stupid for not having the moon focused dead-on. I set it to manual and turned the aperture barrel all the way to the left. Apparently I needed to have about 1mm to the right of infinity for it to get in focus clearly. Just one notch and it did the trick.

Views: 905
02-20-2016, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes! Nice job! It's not very intuitive, the infinity being a bit from the "end". But they leave that space to give an impact buffer for the autofocus, so it doesn't jam the barrel hard every time you focus far away.
02-21-2016, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Yes! Nice job! It's not very intuitive, the infinity being a bit from the "end". But they leave that space to give an impact buffer for the autofocus, so it doesn't jam the barrel hard every time you focus far away.
Makes sense! I thought there might've been a focusing defect on my lens, guess not.
06-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I just received my new 55-300, so I was testing it on the moon after googling a ton of times on how to do it right, sadly that's not the problem. I must be stupid for not having the moon focused dead-on. I set it to manual and turned the aperture barrel all the way to the left. Apparently I needed to have about 1mm to the right of infinity for it to get in focus clearly. Just one notch and it did the trick.
Great job! very sharp