Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Two days in the blind.
Lens: F-70-210 and A-400 with 1.4 TC Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 400 
Posted By: normhead, 02-23-2016, 02:44 PM

These are cross posted everywhere, I don't think anyone could miss them, but just in case.... images from the last couple of days, the sun has been out. You've got to go out and shoot, even if there's nothing new.

F 70-210

A-400 and 1.4 TC

There are 679 images in my "porch birds" folder. I wonder how many the slideshow shows? Click if you are brave... or bored.

Last edited by normhead; 02-23-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Views: 1,733
02-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great shots - as always!
02-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Beautiful work, Norm. That F 70-210mm just keeps bringing home the bacon, doesn't it? One heck of a lens to be so "old." I don't know about yours, but the auto-focus on mine sounds like someone slamming a screen door!
02-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The birds finally found the seed in the feeder, I hadn't had any in it since last year. Of course the cardinal didn't show up until the sun went down...

02-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Great shots - as always!
Thanks bertwert

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Beautiful work, Norm. That F 70-210mm just keeps bringing home the bacon, doesn't it? One heck of a lens to be so "old." I don't know about yours, but the auto-focus on mine sounds like someone slamming a screen door!
I've been off the 60-250 for a couple of ays now, and there is something about holder glass. When my 70-210 locks focus i swear it's going to break my wrist one of these days. There's no damping in that lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The birds finally found the seed in the feeder, I hadn't had any in it since last year. Of course the cardinal didn't show up until the sun went down...
We don't get cardinals, well, the people down the hill do, but for some reason he doesn't come here.
02-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Purple Finch and Pipit, good from my view point!
02-23-2016, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Purple Finch and Pipit, good from my view point!
Pipit? In Norm's shots? There is a Pine Siskin, but no Pipit.

02-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Pipit, I had to look it up in the Birds of Algonquin Park book. They do come here but not until on average May 8th. He could also be mistaking the female purple finch for it.
02-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Working "blind" sure pays off for you Norm. Interspecies communication in that first picture. Great shots.
02-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Two days in the blind.
Got kicked out of the house, eh? But you made good use of your time in exile. ;~)
02-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Pipit, I had to look it up in the Birds of Algonquin Park book. They do come here but not until on average May 8th. He could also be mistaking the female purple finch for it.
They breed in the far north and winter in the south. We would only see them as the pass through. I've only ever seen one, on Lake Ontario during the fall migration.

They do look vaguely like a Pine Siskin but lack the yellow wings.
02-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Working "blind" sure pays off for you Norm. Interspecies communication in that first picture. Great shots.
It's so easy to just walk a few steps out my back door and sit down for a half hour, or until my fingers freeze, which ever comes first.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Got kicked out of the house, eh? But you made good use of your time in exile. ;~)
It's not going to be sunny for a few days, in fact we're getting a pile of snow. You have to go when you can.

---------- Post added 02-23-16 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They breed in the far north and winter in the south. We would only see them as the pass through. I've only ever seen one, on Lake Ontario during the fall migration.

They do look vaguely like a Pine Siskin but lack the yellow wings.
Those Pine SIskins when they take off from the feeder just light up the air with yellow. I couldn't get a decent image. When you're shooting at ƒ11 you don't get a fast enough shutter speed to freeze motion, so how about an indecent one.

Last edited by normhead; 02-23-2016 at 06:08 PM.
02-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's so easy to just walk a few steps out my back door and sit down for a half hour, or until my fingers freeze, which ever comes first.

I just set up in my office and shoot out through the open window with the heat on high. But I still don't get such great shots. Heat shimmer, maybe...
02-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I just set up in my office and shoot out through the open window with the heat on high. But I still don't get such great shots. Heat shimmer, maybe...
I used to shot right through the window, but you have to keep your windows clean, and at certain times of day, reflections made shooting impossible. The blind however i set up to take advantage of available sun and pleasing backgrounds, the kitchen window, well, it was what ti was.

Some of the old "through the kitchen window" shots.... who can tell?

02-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots all around!