Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Waiting for the sun
Lens: Sigma 150-500 OS Camera: K-5 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: DeadJohn, 02-25-2016, 12:17 AM

I woke up well before sunrise to position myself in just the right spot to get the sun rising behind the Fire Island lighthouse. My intent was to use a solar filter to capture sunspots with the lighthouse silhouetted directly in front of the sun; it would have been a B&W image. Skies were forecast to be clear and they were pretty clear when I left my house. When I got to the beach 30 minutes later, skies were still clear down to most of the horizon, except for a stubborn patch of thick clouds in front of the sun.

No sunrise for me. I wasn't too disappointed because even if the skies were clear I risked a boring sun without sunspots. I hung around a while and as the sun rose I got sunbeams that might be nicer than my planned shot. The sky looks stormy but 90% of the sky was cloudless.

I still plan to try again next winter when the sun's rising in the right spot. Nothing but photography gets me out of bed before sunrise

Views: 1,058
02-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a pretty good result. I like it!
02-25-2016, 04:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It maight not have been the shot you planned to get, but it's a very good shot, and better than what you'd have if you'd slept in.
12-26-2017, 04:48 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I woke up well before sunrise to position myself in just the right spot to get the sun rising behind the Fire Island lighthouse. My intent was to use a solar filter to capture sunspots with the lighthouse silhouetted directly in front of the sun; it would have been a B&W image. Skies were forecast to be clear and they were pretty clear when I left my house. When I got to the beach 30 minutes later, skies were still clear down to most of the horizon, except for a stubborn patch of thick clouds in front of the sun.

No sunrise for me. I wasn't too disappointed because even if the skies were clear I risked a boring sun without sunspots. I hung around a while and as the sun rose I got sunbeams that might be nicer than my planned shot. The sky looks stormy but 90% of the sky was cloudless.

I still plan to try again next winter when the sun's rising in the right spot. Nothing but photography gets me out of bed before sunrise

Beautiful sky & colors!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

You've done yourself proud!
07-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's probably a better photo than the one you were trying to get.
07-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It's probably a better photo than the one you were trying to get.
My mom always said lifeLandscape photography is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”

07-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comments.

My mom always said lifeLandscape photography is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”
That is why I encourage people to limit what they delete in the field. I believe it is better to save everything to a computer and then look at everything there before making any decisions.
07-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is why I encourage people to limit what they delete in the field. I believe it is better to save everything to a computer and then look at everything there before making any decisions.
Totally agree. That philosophy hasn't failed me yet. Thnx.

tT
07-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

awesome sun rays! really well done!