Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first fireworks (3 images)
Posted By: dws1117, 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Not too bad. Not many keepers. I had been shooting on a tripod earlier in the night and forgot to turn on SR when it was time for the fireworks. I never realized what a difference SR made. Here were my three favorites.

I know this is out of focus, but I still like the way it came out.

C & C is welcome and encouraged.
Views: 1,429
07-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They do look a little shakey indeed - however since I have never attempted fireworks yet - thery are better than anything I have - One needs to go to Disnleyland or something where they have them every night to pratice.
07-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I like the 2nd shot as it is really artistic.
07-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You said you had been using a tripod earlier but surely these are not on a tripod right?

And by the way, if doing fireworks or night shot turn off the noise reduction or it take you for ever to record and you will miss many opportunities.

07-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
You said you had been using a tripod earlier but surely these are not on a tripod right?

And by the way, if doing fireworks or night shot turn off the noise reduction or it take you for ever to record and you will miss many opportunities.
Correct, these are hand held. I'll remember the NR tip for next time.

Thanks for the compliment roentarre
07-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #6

I'll start by saying that I like the second image. The reddish color and the silhouettes make it interesting.

Now, for the fireworks photos, well, they could use some improvement. First off, shake reduction is properly named. They didn't call it "Miracle Shake Elimination" for a reason. You still need a tripod in a lot of situations. Also, both the photos you posted were shot at 0.6 sec. I'd say you need at least a two-second exposure for most fireworks. Also, the more interesting shots have more than one firework in them, which means an even longer exposure. Basically, you need to mount your camera on a tripod, set it to bulb, turn off long-exposure noise reduction (if you can), and use a wired remote. Time your shutter releases based on how you want the photo to look. Do you want to include the upward travel? Do you want the initial explosion? How many bursts do you want in one shot?

Unfortunately, you won't really have another chance to play around with it until New Year's.

In the meantime, check out my fireworks gallery: Fireworks, July 4, 2008 - a set on Flickr

Have fun!
07-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I actually quite like the 1st 1 Wayne, may not be technically spot on but its a nice image

07-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
I'll start by saying that I like the second image. The reddish color and the silhouettes make it interesting.

Now, for the fireworks photos, well, they could use some improvement. First off, shake reduction is properly named. They didn't call it "Miracle Shake Elimination" for a reason. You still need a tripod in a lot of situations. Also, both the photos you posted were shot at 0.6 sec. I'd say you need at least a two-second exposure for most fireworks. Also, the more interesting shots have more than one firework in them, which means an even longer exposure. Basically, you need to mount your camera on a tripod, set it to bulb, turn off long-exposure noise reduction (if you can), and use a wired remote. Time your shutter releases based on how you want the photo to look. Do you want to include the upward travel? Do you want the initial explosion? How many bursts do you want in one shot?

Unfortunately, you won't really have another chance to play around with it until New Year's.

In the meantime, check out my fireworks gallery: Fireworks, July 4, 2008 - a set on Flickr

Have fun!
Thank you for all the tips. As to the amount of fireworks in the photo I do wish there were more, but it was my neighbors shooting them off and they were only doing them one at a time. Also, my tripod is a crappy one and I don't a remote. Both of which I should have remedied by next fireworks season.

thomasjmpark - Thanks you for the comment. I know it is out of focus, and has some blur due to SR being stupidly turned off, but I still like it. It's weird, but seemed to come out nice.
07-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I do like the effect of the 1st, very good. Just Tom will do