Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Battle of Aiken
Lens: DA 60-250 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: South Carolina 
Posted By: slowpez, 02-26-2016, 08:09 AM

The Battle of Aiken occurred on February 11, 1865 as Sherman made his way across South Carolina. The principal commanders were Union Maj. Gen. Hugh Judson Kilpatrick and Confederate Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler. Wheeler was able to score a minor victory over Kilpatrick. (Copied from Wikipedia.)
Needless to say, the battle is fought again every February. Lots of great fun. This was only our second time there but it gave me a good chance to use my new 60-250. I have had it since December but, outside of a quick trip to the zoo, haven't had a chance to try it out. I took these with the intention of converting them to sepia tones or B&W to maintain the feel of old battleground photos.
Strangely, there were a lot of women dressed up in both Confederate and Union uniforms riding horses and firing cannon.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-28-2016 at 05:19 AM.
Views: 1,704
02-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series, I especially like the first one! Make some cracks, and it's just an orignal...
02-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You did a great job of giving these photos a patina of authenticity. Mind you, in 1865 a 1/320 second exposure wasn't possible, but on the other hand your photos look like stills from a movie. Only anachronisms I noticed was a couple pairs of eyeglasses with modern lenses in them and one machine rolled cigarette.
02-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I took these with the intention of converting them to sepia tones or B&W to maintain the feel of old battleground photos.
As to authenticity...
...Just take my word for it, a modern field army at least, is just not that clean and well groomed.

Which, of of course, is not the fault of the photographer.

02-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Nice series, I especially like the first one! Make some cracks, and it's just an orignal...
Thanks Rense. Thought about adding some cracks but just got lazy.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
You did a great job of giving these photos a patina of authenticity. Mind you, in 1865 a 1/320 second exposure wasn't possible, but on the other hand your photos look like stills from a movie. Only anachronisms I noticed was a couple pairs of eyeglasses with modern lenses in them and one machine rolled cigarette.
I can't find that dang cigarette. I would clone it out if I could find it.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
As to authenticity...
...Just take my word for it, a modern field army at least, is just not that clean and well groomed.

Which, of of course, is not the fault of the photographer.
You just know how bad these guys had to have smelled too.
02-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I can't find that dang cigarette. I would clone it out if I could find it.
My bad, what I saw as a cigarette is actually a pipe with a straight tube and an invisible bowl. (I thought he had a sticker on his face!)
02-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I even did not realize at first that top picture is not a replica
Really cool set.

02-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
My bad, what I saw as a cigarette is actually a pipe with a straight tube and an invisible bowl. (I thought he had a sticker on his face!)
Not bad. I appreciate it when people point out that kind of stuff because I always seem to miss something I shouldn't have. Of course, I spent just hours looking at these just to try to find that cigarette. Now that's bad.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I even did not realize at first that top picture is not a replica
Really cool set.
Thanks.
02-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like 'em. Well done!
02-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These have come up a treat.............detailed sepia shots. Very nostalgic.
02-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

These are great! I love the composition and treatment, making them look ancient. Cool!
02-27-2016, 05:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
Susan, the first image is outstanding. It is such a shame one of the participants wears modern eye glasses. If this was my image I would not be afraid to spend a considerable amount of time to clone them off his face, because the image and its treatment is that good. Maybe if he participates again next year he can be made to wear contacts.

Try to introduce a bit of grain into the image (the new Topaz DeNoise 6 which I have just downloaded for free will do this very well.) This is not a criticism just an idea.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers
02-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I like 'em. Well done!
Thanks so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
These have come up a treat.............detailed sepia shots. Very nostalgic.
Thank you EM.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
These are great! I love the composition and treatment, making them look ancient. Cool!
Thanks a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Susan, the first image is outstanding. It is such a shame one of the participants wears modern eye glasses. If this was my image I would not be afraid to spend a considerable amount of time to clone them off his face, because the image and its treatment is that good. Maybe if he participates again next year he can be made to wear contacts.

Try to introduce a bit of grain into the image (the new Topaz DeNoise 6 which I have just downloaded for free will do this very well.) This is not a criticism just an idea.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers
Thanks for the ideas. I have added a few scratches to the image already and will add some noise per your suggestion. I agree on those glasses and, while they may be beyond my capabilities it certainly won't hurt to try to remove them. Thanks so much for the suggestions. Now, back to photoshop..
02-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a convincing series, Susan. Well done. As to women reenactors, I don't know about the Civil War, but in some naval wars previous to this, women sometimes shipped aboard dressed as boys.

Last edited by Tamia; 02-28-2016 at 09:25 AM. Reason: corrected misspelled word "precious" to "previous"
02-28-2016, 02:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Excellent series. The treatment is spot on.