Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Where the Rubber . . . . . .
Lens: FA 31 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 280 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-01-2016, 07:52 PM

. . . . . . . . . meets the road.

Jer


Views: 1,046
03-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,317
Like it!
03-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,848
You bored again Jer? That is when you usually start seeing the magic in shadows. Good one.
03-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
MSL
Veteran Member
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,468
Not at all what I was expecting given your passion for high performance autos. Very cool shot.

03-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Rense's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zetten - The Netherlands
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,907
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You bored again Jer? That is when you usually start seeing the magic in shadows. Good one.


I like it Jer! I'd probably clone the pedal though, but that's most probably just me....
03-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
MSL
Veteran Member
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,468
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
I like it Jer! I'd probably clone the pedal though, but that's most probably just me....
nope, that bugged me too, as well as not seeing the entire tire on the right. but I decided to roll on without mentioning those things initially
03-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Like it!
Thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You bored again Jer? That is when you usually start seeing the magic in shadows. Good one.
Thanks, Susan. Naw - I wasn't bored this time; I had just pulled the bike out of the garage for a morning ride, spotted the shadow, ran in to get my camera, and took several shots. We've had a delightfully warm winter this year, with almost daily bike riding.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Not at all what I was expecting given your passion for high performance autos. Very cool shot.
Thank you very much. I love driving my cars, but I also enjoy biking very much. In fact, I put about 2900 miles a year on this old Trek, almost as much as my yearly mileage on the Porsche.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote


I like it Jer! I'd probably clone the pedal though, but that's most probably just me....
Hey Rense - I appreciate it. And you're right - the pedal is a bit of a distraction. I haven't a clue how to clone stuff in photos, so it would be easier simply to retake the pic on the next sunny morning and move the bike's crank sufficiently to keep the pedal out of the frame.

Jer

---------- Post added 03-03-2016 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
nope, that bugged me too, as well as not seeing the entire tire on the right. but I decided to roll on without mentioning those things initially
I took several compositions, including one that included the entire wheel. It was - to my eye - too busy and de-emphasized the shadow, which was the whole point of the shot. I would post it for comparison, but unfortunately I dumped it.

Jer
03-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
MSL
Veteran Member
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,468
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I took several compositions, including one that included the entire wheel. It was - to my eye - too busy and de-emphasized the shadow, which was the whole point of the shot. I would post it for comparison, but unfortunately I dumped it.
I'm okay without showing the entire tire, but I think cropping the tire and keeping the pedal is a bad compromise.

03-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,444
another superb b+w composition jer..... dave m
03-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,984
A well seen shot.
03-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,462
Good eye Jer.

This is the sort of thing I walk by all the time missing the image.

I also miss the point on a lot of other things but that's another story.

Tom G
03-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
another superb b+w composition jer..... dave m
Hey, old buddy - long time, no "see." Thanks for the very kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A well seen shot.
Thanks!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Good eye Jer.

This is the sort of thing I walk by all the time missing the image.

I also miss the point on a lot of other things but that's another story.

Tom G
Hey, Tom - I appreciate it. And - like you - I seem to find new ways to stumble over stuff I should be paying attention to.

Jer

---------- Post added 03-04-2016 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'm okay without showing the entire tire, but I think cropping the tire and keeping the pedal is a bad compromise.
Good discussion. It turns out that I was (just) able to crop out the pedal and still retain the entire shadow of the tire in the frame. Because of the position of the pedal in the original, this cropped version looks a little cramped (for lack of a better word), but it certainly has a cleaner, more minimalist look than the uncropped picture. Thanks for stimulating my lazy brain.

Jer


Last edited by Sailor; 03-04-2016 at 09:47 AM.
03-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springe
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,664
Great shot, Jer!

Norbert
03-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
That's a really nice and creative shot Jer. Good eye to see it...and good thinking to capture it.......Otis liked it too.....said he once ate the rubber off a wheel just like that one at a squirrel buffet and it was very tasty!

One because he really liked it...


One because you thought to capture it!


Regards!
03-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #15
MSL
Veteran Member
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,468
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Good discussion. It turns out that I was (just) able to crop out the pedal and still retain the entire shadow of the tire in the frame. Because of the position of the pedal in the original, this cropped version looks a little cramped (for lack of a better word), but it certainly has a cleaner, more minimalist look than the uncropped picture. Thanks for stimulating my lazy brain.
I agree that the aspect ratio here is a little odd - it is neither 3:2, 4:3 or something wide enough to be considered a panorama like shot. But I do like this minimalist version better despite the oddity.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bike, camera, clone, jer, morning, photo, post, shadow, shot, thanks, time, tire, tom
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning the yellow rubber? SpartanD63 Pentax K-01 12 09-24-2013 06:55 AM
Replacing the rubber grip RickyFromVegas Pentax K-01 2 01-31-2013 01:49 PM
I hate the rubber lens cap on the K-01 7samurai Pentax K-01 4 11-19-2012 09:52 PM
Replacement Rubber Feet for Slik 500G? Anyone know where I can get Something Suitable s162216 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 12 02-01-2010 07:26 AM
Rubber Hood for the FA 50mm lens Fred2726 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 07-13-2009 04:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top