Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Great Sandhills of Saskatchewan
Posted By: CJCram, 07-06-2008, 12:59 PM

We made a trip out to the Great Sandhills this weekend specifically so that I could take pictures It's a very unique area on the prairie with huge sand dunes interspersed with rolling green hills. Here are a few of my favourites (we had our dogs with us!).

Views: 2,133
07-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series, the first is my favourite! What's the story with the boots?
07-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

very nice series, love the boots!
07-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I had no idea ! Wow looks very desert like. Great series and yeah I am curious as well what's up with the boots ?

07-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots. #1 and #6 look awesome. Good work. JIMBO
07-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

now i actualy want to visit Saskatchewan!

very nice desert shots indeed.
07-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments! We had a lot of fun out there and I was happy for the weather sealing on my K10D with all of that sand blowing around!

The boots are part of an art sculpture I guess. They are set on one of the stable sandhills (covered in vegetation) by the main "parking lot" area at the entrance to the sandhills. The curve in the road there is apparently named "cowboy boot curve" as well. I guess someone just decided to start posting them up there on a wooden structure. It's also traditional in SK to upend old boots on fence posts, so you'll often see that as you drive through the prairie. It was a very suitable art piece for the area though and I couldn't resist taking a tonne of pictures of it

I've heard of the sandhills ever since I was a little kid because my dad grew up in the area. They cover a huge patch of land extending into Alberta. They've been protected so they are used only as pasture land for cattle- no grain farming and no oil drilling (there is tonnes of oil in the area). They are constantly changing too- more dunes form in dry years when the vegetation dies off, and in moist years there are more stable hills. The dunes can move up to 25 meters a year (it's very windy here). There were a surprising number of people there considering it is truly located in the middle of nowhere (a lot of photographers though!). For any of you Western Canadians, it's a short one hour drive south of Kindersley on highway 21 (Kindersley is on the main highway from Saskatoon to Calgary). They are the second biggest sand dunes in Canada- the biggest also in Saskatchewan way up north by lake Athabasca. There's also apparently a lot of wildlife in the area, with about 150 different species of birds as well as a lot of deer and small rodents. I wasn't able to get any good shots though. There are a few more pictures on my blog Photos by Candice if anyone is interested.