Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First shots with old Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Posted By: wa5am, 07-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Stupid me, I ordered an M42 to K ring and it had a flange on it, so I can't reach focus beyond about 18 feet. I had this old 55mm from the old days and nearly forgot about it until a few weeks ago. Now I need to find a real Pentax adapter ring...

Anyway, I decided to go outside today and at least get some shots within the focus range. All these are handheld with my K20D, and of course manually focused and exposures taken in AV mode. I can see I'm not as steady as I used to be

Bottom line; I am really pleased how sharp this old lens is, in addition to the color and contrast. I did not do any post processing, USM, etc. Only cropped and rescaled for posting. The close crops are from the 100% original.

I think the old lens is a keeper.

Thanks for looking....Brian
Views: 1,924
07-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sweet pictures there Brian,

I have the k-mount version of that lens, and love it

How's the quality of that screwmount adapter in general?

If it's high quality, and fits your camera snuggly I might be interested in it (if you care to sell it for a reasonable price)
It'll work perfectly on my other camera, where the sensor is already a little closer to the lens. So I should still have infinity

Last edited by little laker; 07-06-2008 at 05:30 PM.
07-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Great shots. I really like the close-ups. -Paul :-)
07-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulf6 Quote
Great shots. I really like the close-ups. -Paul :-)
Thanks Paul. Actually those "close ups" are just a crop of the original images at 100% scale. I didn't have enough DOF on the flowers, but I just wanted to mainly see how this old lens would do.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sweet pictures there Brian,

I have the k-mount version of that lens, and love it

How's the quality of that screwmount adapter in general?

If it's high quality, and fits your camera snuggly I might be interested in it (if you care to sell it for a reasonable price)
It'll work perfectly on my other camera, where the sensor is already a little closer to the lens. So I should still have infinity
Thank you Laker. I don't think I would give this ring to anyone. It fits nicely into the K mount, but the M42 part is way off. When I screw the M42 lens into it, it won't even rotate to the point where the F-stop, etc., indicators are on top! I have to turn the camera upside down to see what FS I've got it set to. It really should go in the trash, but if you want it, I'll mail it to you when I get a Pentax ring.

Thanks for the comments!

Brian