Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Baseball pics with K100D
Posted By: jsundin, 07-06-2008, 10:50 PM

Time and time again people ask if the K100 (and K200) are good for sports with their limited fps for shooting rapid fire. Well, the lighting plays a HUGE part in the abilty to get a high shutter speed and sharp photo. But, timing of your shot has an equally HUGER part to do with the shot. Even though I can get almost 3fps, I could totally miss a shot if I went rapid fire too soon as the bat speed or the baseball speed may be out of the frame in one shot, and in the glove the next.

So, stop rambling and show us some pictures, you say? All these taken with the K100D, with the non-DI version of the Tamron 28-300, I think I was using. Here are several ways you can get on base in the game of baseball:

Hit by pitch:

The Bunt:

The base hit: (Doubles in both cases)

And, just for fun, here is the final strike of one of the games.

Views: 1,630
07-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Fantastic shots! Very well done. The colours are really pleasing and not overdone.
07-07-2008, 04:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand why people think that because a camera doesn't have fast FPS that it can't shoot sports. If you're serious about sports photography you should be knowledgeable enough about the sport you shoot to use your timing, not 8+ FPS. If you can't get the shot by timing, a fast FPS prolly will not help you unless it's a video camera

These are great shots, specially the bunt and bass hit.
07-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice series. I shot our ball team (mixed Slowpitch) and I agree it can be done. I have still yet to freeze the ball on the bat , pretty close with 1/750 shutter speed - I think you need 1/1000+ and burst mode. Well done.

07-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series. I shot our ball team (mixed Slowpitch) and I agree it can be done. I have still yet to freeze the ball on the bat , pretty close with 1/750 shutter speed - I think you need 1/1000+ and burst mode. Well done.
Nah, just good timing. The closest I've come to nailing it was about a full second after getting my camera out of the bag and up to my eye just enough to make sure the batter was in the shot. Only ended up firing off one shot, and I'd be surprised if it was above 1/500 as it was pretty overcast. This was girls college softball, btw. Was it a lucky shot? Damn straight it was.
07-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Nah, just good timing. The closest I've come to nailing it was about a full second after getting my camera out of the bag and up to my eye just enough to make sure the batter was in the shot. Only ended up firing off one shot, and I'd be surprised if it was above 1/500 as it was pretty overcast. This was girls college softball, btw. Was it a lucky shot? Damn straight it was.
Haha I agree (thus the burst mode ... increase the luck factor ) here is one in mid day bright sun at 1/750 there is still blur on the ball albeit the ball was already hit ..

Clcik on Image for full size (flick seems really slow warning....)

07-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The last one really stands out for me. There is a lot of detail such as Big Blue crouched behind the catcher, the catcher's right hand (look at how he is holding it), the ball about to come into the mitt, and the batter up on his toes. Great pic!!

Last edited by cardinal43; 07-07-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling -- stoopid keyboard