Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Geese at the duckpond / limits of the F100-300
Lens: F100-300 Camera: K-5 
Posted By: MSL, 03-09-2016, 08:42 PM

It has been a while since I've taken any non-family photos or processed the ones I've got. But I wanted to get to the duck pond before the current warm spell melted all the ice and snow. I took two lenses, the A28/2.8 and F100-300/4.5.-5.6. The A28 didn't get used much, because a house under construction in the background limited the scope for "wide" angle shots. So I used the chance to test the F100-300, which I've mostly disliked but can't complain about too much given how little I paid for it.

A 100mm it is a decent lens and you can get some sharp images as the first one will show. At 300mm you are pushing your luck, although several of the geese images below are 100% crops or close enough to it. Purple fringing is a big problem - it is easy to get edges of purple and green where you have strong contrast, even when stopping down. Since one of the great aspects of this site is that you get to see where lenses shine or fail, I'm posting these pics more as a review or demonstration than because I think they are great shots. Images were process using FastStone and in some cases I did little more than crop or auto-adjust the colors. In a couple I did some very mild sharpening, but that tending to make the fringing worse.

1. Setting the scene

2. All you do is talk... talk... talk.

3. And still you jabber on even when I try to escape.

4. I'm not listening

5. What do I need to do to escape?

6.. Where did I put my keys?

7. I'm outta here

Views: 777
03-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice storyline to go with the photos. The second one is my favorite.
03-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Susan, I appreciate the feedback. That shot is one of the 100% crops, so on occasion the lens can do a good job.