Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Why I shoot Raw (2 imgs)
Posted By: sajmmiller, 07-07-2008, 02:24 PM

I have no intention of starting a Raw vs JPEG debate. I just thought the following photos show what can be done with a raw file.

This shot could have been even better if I had used a tripod and taken/blended, multiple exposures, but I didn't have a tripod with me at the time. As you can see, the portion of the waterfall in bright sunlight was overexposed to the point of no recovery. But I was still pleased with what is possible by adjusting the curves and then adding a contrast mask. The photo still won't win any awards, but I thought it was worth posting anyway. Comments always appreciated.

Straight conversion to jpeg, resized and sharpened

PP'd Raw, then contrast mask with 16-bit png file, same resizing and sharpening as above

Thanks for looking,
Views: 1,434
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Any Comments?

I replaced the PP'd version after working on it a bit more. Mainly did some cloning and healing on the waterfall and the area around it. Any suggestions or comments? :ugh:
07-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

just because its a jpeg doesnt mean you cant run it through a RAW editor.

also your RAW file has way too much of its shadows filled in, it ends up looking rather flat, esp in the bottom left corner.

Last edited by Gooshin; 07-08-2008 at 12:36 PM.
07-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd try and rescue the highlights in the water and leave the rest...or just do a less extreme compensation. The mid-tones have gotten a little smudged and messy. Tough shot, for sure.

07-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

what d. bradley said...

My thought was that compositionally it's not bad, but, through no fault of your own, the lighting is crappy.
I'd be going back there again soon when there was better light... (overcast or even a slight drizzle might be a great time)
07-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
just because its a jpeg doesnt mean you cant run it through a RAW editor.

also your RAW file has way too much of its shadows filled in, it ends up looking rather flat, esp in the bottom left corner.
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Personally, I'd try and rescue the highlights in the water and leave the rest...or just do a less extreme compensation. The mid-tones have gotten a little smudged and messy. Tough shot, for sure.
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
what d. bradley said...

My thought was that compositionally it's not bad, but, through no fault of your own, the lighting is crappy.
I'd be going back there again soon when there was better light... (overcast or even a slight drizzle might be a great time)
Well I guess I was so caught up in how much color and detail I could recover from the shadows, that I overdid a bit. Fun to play with anyway. Thanks for the comments....that's what I needed to know.

I plan to go back and reshoot that scene using my tripod, hopefully on a cloudy day, earlier in the morning, and after a good rain so the water is flowing.
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Compromise...Better?

This will be the last version, I promise! I have such a hard time judging how far to go with the PP. Hopefully, eventually, I'll get a better eye for it.

07-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Much better now!

07-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Agreed! This one looks good...
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

definitely that's much better on the PP on that one. =)

I'd still go back like you said and reshoot (just because it looks like a good spot)
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Much better pp Scott. Sometimes it is tough when we work on an image for any length of time. I find that it is best for me to leave it and come back, somehow I see things I didn't see in the heat of post processing initially. You've really improved on your orignal work with this one.
07-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Much better now!
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Agreed! This one looks good...
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
definitely that's much better on the PP on that one. =)

I'd still go back like you said and reshoot (just because it looks like a good spot)
Thanks helping to get me pointed back in the right direction everybody!
07-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Much better pp Scott. Sometimes it is tough when we work on an image for any length of time. I find that it is best for me to leave it and come back, somehow I see things I didn't see in the heat of post processing initially. You've really improved on your orignal work with this one.
I think that's very good advice LaRee! I often get caught up in some little detail or excited about learning a new technique and then can't see the forest for the trees. :ugh: I think I also need to learn that with many PP techniques, a little goes a long ways.

I appreciate you your comment.