Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
The Pier
Lens: 31mm Camera: K3 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: alamo5000, 03-12-2016, 10:33 PM

Comments? Areas of improvement?

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

This was a snapshot that I took today. We had a little Louisiana crawfish boil at my cousin's house and they have a little pier that is out into a small pond by their house.
Views: 747
03-12-2016, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might be interesting to see this as a vertical, or as a horizontal with more of the pier cropped away. Already a good shot as is, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The shot above is the full frame as shot with zero cropping at all so I have lots of room to crop. I might try it and see what happens.
03-13-2016, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like this shot - looks like some the wet spots here in Brazoria County.

Jer

03-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like this shot - looks like some the wet spots here in Brazoria County.
Thank you!

Since I have a really hard time getting inspired to shoot around here I have started finding the standard every day stuff and I try to pull it off "right". I try to get the exposure right and the lighting and whatever else. I am trying to get in the habit of doing it right the first time. In this particular shot I didn't even straighten the image. LOL (That's a new one for me). No straightening, no cropping, just a little bit of minor PP.

Even though I have a DSLR and can shoot what I want and delete the rest I pretend that I have a roll of film in there and that I need to figure out what kind of shot I want and what kind of look I want before hand. This picture is one of those mundane exercises like that. I hope when I get in front of something that is just epic that my version of practice will pay off.

BTW to me when I see the full size image it is even more interesting.

As it is I chose this vantage point because I think it creates depth and hopefully leads the eye into the frame.

Overall for my skill set building this is alright for a hand held shot.

---------- Post added 03-13-16 at 02:21 PM ----------

I should also mention that at f8 that 31mm needs a warning label. "Danger! Sharp! Beware or you'll cut yourself!" LOL

---------- Post added 03-13-16 at 02:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Might be interesting to see this as a vertical, or as a horizontal with more of the pier cropped away.
What do you think? A straight up crop of the original image.

03-14-2016, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the original one better as it seems to have more depth. Sure wouldn't mind having that in my backyard until the mosquitos start to hatch.
03-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I like the original one better as it seems to have more depth. Sure wouldn't mind having that in my backyard until the mosquitos start to hatch.
Thank you!

FWIW that's why we have bug zappers

If you keep it all mowed and trimmed up the mosquitoes aren't that bad.