Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
2016-03-13-Todays-feeder-birds
Lens: Sigma 70-300 macro Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 640 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: normhead, 03-13-2016, 02:13 PM

The best
K-3 and Sigma 70-300 @ 210mm

640 ISO, ƒ6.3, Shutter speed between 1/500s and 1/640s AV mode,

Pine Siskins

Purple finches.

The best of the rest.

Views: 822
03-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos of feeder birds, Norm. We don't have pine siskins here, but do have house finches, purple finches and the American Gold Finch (spring time only). I'll be glad when the other birds start showing up.
03-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
We get the odd Goldfinch mixed in with the other finches. I haven't seen them for a few days though. I've never seen this many Pine Siskins before. There are no House Finches here.
03-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I enjoy looking at your bird shots. I used to think if anyone shot birds on a feeder they weren't considered good form but after realizing the only time we might have the chance for a bird shot, shooting them on the feeder is just as good as shooting one in its natural habitat. I quit worrying about trying to get them in a tree or on the ground. And just shoot them where I can.

We don't have chickadees here and when I lived a portion of my life in Minnesota, I never could get them to sit still long enough.

03-14-2016, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I think the first one is just perfect! Love the little Woody too...all of them are typical "Norm Excellent".

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I enjoy looking at your bird shots. I used to think if anyone shot birds on a feeder they weren't considered good form but after realizing the only time we might have the chance for a bird shot, shooting them on the feeder is just as good as shooting one in its natural habitat.
Heck, I'm a Cheater, I'll shoot them any way I can...but around here a feeder or my cedar fence is their natural habitat. Some appear to never leave them. I tell them often, get out, find some nice trees, a little stream, see the world......but they just sit and wait for the next free meal.

Regards!
03-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I used to be a member of NANP (North American Nature Photographers) and then you couldn't submit photos if they had hand of man in them. No feeder, no fence, telephone poles, etc because they said if it had hand of man in it, you couldn't call it nature. I've gotten over that now. I posted some new shots I got this morning with all those things showing in them except the feeders.
03-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I posted some new shots I got this morning with all those things showing in them except the feeders.
Well, Nature ain't what it used to be, is it!

I came back to this thread to double check a thought I had...that Norm is using frames on his photos. I've heard many times that "photographers" don't like frames on posted shots......never understood that, I think a frame can enhance a shot....and by golly, I was right!

Regards!

03-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think the first one is just perfect! Love the little Woody too...all of them are typical "Norm Excellent".

Heck, I'm a Cheater, I'll shoot them any way I can...but around here a feeder or my cedar fence is their natural habitat. Some appear to never leave them. I tell them often, get out, find some nice trees, a little stream, see the world......but they just sit and wait for the next free meal.

Regards!
Rupert always says the nicest things about me....

I used to be a member of NANP (North American Nature Photographers) and then you couldn't submit photos if they had hand of man in them. No feeder, no fence, telephone poles, etc because they said if it had hand of man in it, you couldn't call it nature. I've gotten over that now. I posted some new shots I got this morning with all those things showing in them except the feeders.
I've been run out of many of the Facebook groups I used to frequent by these snobs. In one case when I got my fox pictures one had the nerve to say my pictures weren't legit because the fox was habituated. He took some in the same spot 20 years ago. he actually said "when I took mine 20 years ago,not as many people went there the foxes weren't tame." The place the fox hangs out is a short walk from a resort that's been there 60 years and summer camp that's been there for 100. These people are just trying to say "my picture counts and yours doesn't". They are 10 year olds.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, Nature ain't what it used to be, is it!

I came back to this thread to double check a thought I had...that Norm is using frames on his photos. I've heard many times that "photographers" don't like frames on posted shots......never understood that, I think a frame can enhance a shot....and by golly, I was right!

Regards!
I just want to make sure the image is differentiated from the background. On images that have a bright white sky, I like people to see where the image stops and the page starts. Framing is part of the image, and anyone who does shows knows that. Without a frame, the work you did cropping and defining the ratios side to side of the image can be lost, leaving the image sort of hanging in space.

QuoteQuote:
I've heard many times that "photographers" don't like frames on posted shots.
I'll be polite, but as a general kind of thing, there are lots of people who have opinions that aren't really thought out. An opinion is just some guy opening his mouth, whether he's spent 10 seconds thinking about the topic or not.

Last edited by normhead; 03-14-2016 at 09:41 AM.
03-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another great day at the feeders Norm. Love the Hairy Woodpecker. Our birds are starting to come in now that spring seems to be in the air. Had droves of Cedar Waxwings until they ate all the holly berries.
03-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Another great day at the feeders Norm. Love the Hairy Woodpecker. Our birds are starting to come in now that spring seems to be in the air. Had droves of Cedar Waxwings until they ate all the holly berries.
There was a flock of Waxwings in the park the other day, I heard about them from another photographer, but, they were a bit out of my walking range.
03-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Rupert always says the nicest things about me....
Don't blame me Norm...Otis makes me do it!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've heard many times that "photographers" don't like frames on posted shots.
I'll be polite, but as a general kind of thing, there are lots of people who have opinions that aren't really thought out. An opinion is just some guy opening his mouth, whether he's spent 10 seconds thinking about the topic or not.
Yep, I hear lots of opinions that just pop out without any thought or reason. I like frames for the very reason you mentioned. Some shots are better without, some with......we get to decide!

Regards!