Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Insanity of Shake Reduction
Lens: DA15 f/4 Limited Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: Yuma Territorial Prison ISO: 640 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: MadMathMind, 03-13-2016, 07:45 PM

Hand held this shot with a 2.5s exposure time (with some bracing--no timer since that disables SR!). Never gotten this kind of performance before out of the K-5IIs. This is what, 5 stops? And I didn't think it would work for multisecond exposures. Sure glad it did.

Views: 926
03-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Hand held this shot with a 2.5s exposure time (with some bracing--no timer since that disables SR!). Never gotten this kind of performance before out of the K-5IIs. This is what, 5 stops? And I didn't think it would work for multisecond exposures. Sure glad it did.
OMG!! What an awesome photograph. I really like the technique here. This reminds me of when I was in grammar school, the school took us on a field trip to Walpole Sate Prison in Walpole, Mass. All of us kids were made to go down into the worst prison conditions imaginable. I can honestly say, the school's purpose was well accomplished, I do not believe any of us did anything wrong to justify ending up in a place like that. Very sad, depressing, frightening but effective.

Again, great shot. Thanks a lot.

Tony
03-14-2016, 12:49 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote

A very good photograph and an excellent example of why Pentax is so good.The Ricoh / Pentax engineers have given us the right tools to use. Very well taken.
03-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great lighting. You definitely pulled that one off. Well done.

03-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressive!
03-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #6

Which camera and focal length?
03-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
Which camera and focal length?
Lens: DA15 f/4 Limited, Camera: K-5 IIs, Photo Location: Yuma Territorial Prison, ISO: 640, Shutter Speed: 3s, Aperture: F7.1

03-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone! This was a camera JPEG as well--no post-processing applied!

For context, this is the "dark cell" at the Yuma Territorial prison, or what's left of it. Normal cells weren't so dark and had no cage. Prisoners who were bad and misbehaving got sent to the dark cell for 1-12 days, depending on offense and previous record.