Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Train in snow.
Lens: Pentax FA 80-320 Camera: K-5 
Posted By: PPPPPP42, 03-16-2016, 04:33 PM

Normally I can't get snow to cooperate with anything else in the frame. Guess it worked OK. I had to trim the edges a bit to level it, otherwise this is straight out of the camera. No skill required for this one.

Views: 564
03-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Iīve been looking at this for a while and I like the feeling with the snow and how you can really taste the wet and cold day, itīs a very nice pic, but I have to ask. The nose of the lokomotive seems to turn,ever so slightly, towards the viewer. Is it something with the perspective, something to do with the colour shifting from orange to black or is it just me ?
03-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Trains are very cool!
IMO, this is an awesome shot, nice work!
03-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like everything with this shot. Well done!

03-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
If it looks like its turning its probably because the cabs on those models are much wider than the main body with the engine inside. The weather sort of hides that so it may look confusing. Here is another picture of it (not mine).
CN 3026
I was somewhat surprised that the snow showed up, but they were slowly falling really fat flakes (its been alternating between rain and snow somewhat in the past week) and the train was oncoming so I shot it from farther away with a longer lens which seems to have kept it reasonably free from motion blur despite the much too slow shutter speed. I didn't really fiddle with the settings since I heard the train horn when I was in the area and just rushed to a known position by the tracks and shot on P without overriding anything. I had no idea it was apparently at ISO 100 on a dark overcast snowy day until I looked at the exif data and then just scratched my head as to how it possibly could have worked out.
Actually I just realized I can't seem to view that data from this post like I swear you used to be able to with having manually added it, it was: ISO 100, F4.5, 1/200th, at 140mm which is wide open on the FA80-320. With the lighting and the way those trains blow through there at high speed plus the falling snow those settings totally should have produced a mess of flare and motion blur, especially on a lens I got for $30 as I recall. I think maybe the storm turns most of the defects into artistic effects.
03-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shot