Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.
Lens: A50/2.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Hastie Natural Area, Knoxville ISO: 80 
Posted By: CreationBear, 03-23-2016, 05:45 PM

I thought I owed y'all a little better pictures of my spring blooms--divas that they were, they'd not woken up yet when I passed through last. A little different story, late this afternoon, sitting dead-red on f2.8 with my copy of Kerrowdown's "Femme Fatale..."

Bloodroot:

Trout Lily:

Windflower:

I'm still getting the feel for the aesthetics of close-up's like these--the A50/2.8 makes it a cinch to get creamy bokeh, but I'm starting to value more interesting backgrounds, especially those that catch part of the horizon like the last one.

Views: 847
03-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do like the composition of these 3 shots and the softness appeals too.
03-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, that's quite a compliment coming from you. I would like to experiment with DOF a bit more--perhaps going as far as focus stacks--but right now dreamy/creamy seems to fit the subject.
03-25-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Especially like the trout lily. Such a small flower and, with its head hanging down, hard to capture. Well done.

03-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Such a small flower and, with its head hanging down

Ha, I definitely went through some contortions... FWIW, though, if you're doing a lot of "blooms," I definitely recommend a Uni-loc tripod with an articulating arm...a geared head like the Manfrotto 410 helps as well. Here's a video of the (even) heavier weight version--the "ground set" part is right at the end.

03-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Here's a video of the (even) heavier weight version
Thanks for the info.
03-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photographs, and I know the challenge of getting the focus right on digital. Well done. I have the FA version of that lens, and love it.

03-25-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I know the challenge of getting the focus right on digital

Ha, especially under "Tennessee" conditions, which seems to mean lately setting up on a steep creek bank and wishing you had a prehensile tail.

Otherwise, the A50/2.8 is a 1:2 "macro" so it's quite a bit smaller than your FA version (lack of AF keeps the form factor reasonable as well, I guess.) Definitely like putting it through its paces this time of year, though!
03-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really love that first one, the dreamy with the sharp stamen. The FA is a monster. I generally use it in manual, but it's not just optimized for that. I tried growing Bloodroot once, but the suburban rodents seemed to recognize it as haute cuisine.
03-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
with my copy of Kerrowdown's "Femme Fatale..."
Aye she's one sweet lady and can certainly produce some stunning imagery in the right hands.
03-25-2016, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I tried growing Bloodroot once

That's good to know--now that I've grubbed out most of the invasive amur honeysuckle from our lot, we've got plans for replanting natives. (On the downside, my wife is already talking about renting a trailer the weekend of the Ijams and UT Arboretum sale. )

BTW, true confession on the f2.8 business--totally by accident. I shoot my K-series lenses so much, I hit the Green Button out of force of habit, which on the chipped A50/2.8 sent whatever aperture I'd dialed-in back to wide-open.

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 03:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye she's one sweet lady

And such a diminutive lass at that!