Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Maasai Portrait and Story
Posted By: alamo5000, 03-28-2016, 02:08 PM

Today my friend and I went on a back country cruise in a 4 wheel drive in one of the back corners of Kenya down near the Tanzania border. All sum total the trip was just over 10 hours to and from Nairobi across some pretty rough terrain. Along one of the "roads" we were driving we picked up a hitch hiker

An elderly Maasai woman was struggling in the heat so we saw her, picked her up, and gave her a ride to her location. She was so grateful that she was hugging us and kissing our hands and was saying 'thank you' in her language.

In return she agreed to pose for a photo for me

Please click the link below to see. It is meant to be viewed full size so hopefully the link goes straight there.

Please take a look and tell me what you think of the shot. (I put it as a link so that it would go straight to the right size... the forum will resize the image if I do it the other way....plus I want it to be a surprise )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80479720@N06/26074164366/sizes/k/

Last edited by alamo5000; 03-28-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Views: 1,162
03-29-2016, 03:17 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I had food poisoning from KFC of all places
Who'd have thought?

Food poisoning is awful. I ate some fried clams in Newport, RI while on holiday a few years back. By the time we got to Cape Cod later that day, I felt ill. I still can't recall much of the 18 hours or so that followed - I was hallucinating for most of it, not to mention my body purging... I didn't feel right for days afterwards. Nasty stuff.

Glad you're feeling better

03-29-2016, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Who'd have thought?

Food poisoning is awful. I ate some fried clams in Newport, RI while on holiday a few years back. By the time we got to Cape Cod later that day, I felt ill. I still can't recall much of the 18 hours or so that followed - I was hallucinating for most of it, not to mention my body purging... I didn't feel right for days afterwards. Nasty stuff.

Glad you're feeling better
I have a lot of adventurous and crazy friends that suggested lots of 'fixes' for me but I wasn't willing to try that. In the end I took a few different kinds of medicine including CIPRO which is some harsh yet very effective stuff. All I know is I am very glad all that stuff is OVER. I was down about 7 or 8 days. I lived on cookies and bread. That was WHEN I was able to even eat that.

A day or so ago it finally broke and I was STARVING. I went out and had a steak dinner and it was GOOD! My first meal in a week!
03-29-2016, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lots of history and stories in the lady's face. Good job. Very sharp and detailed photo.
03-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Lots of history and stories in the lady's face. Good job. Very sharp and detailed photo.
Thank you!

I am still doing all this strictly for fun.

Eventually I will get the hang of it, but even I can see that from when I started (3 years ago) until now that I have made a lot of progress.