Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
He never made it.........
Lens: Sigma 105mm F2.8 Macro Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Perth Western Australia 
Posted By: eaglem, 04-04-2016, 01:50 AM

and ended up a meal!

Views: 2,175
04-04-2016, 02:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And I thought I was having a bad day. Nicely done with such wonderful detail, color and exposure.

Thanks,

Tony
04-04-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
And I thought I was having a bad day. Nicely done with such wonderful detail, color and exposure.

Thanks,

Tony
Thank you Tony......
04-04-2016, 02:36 AM   #4

Very nice....
but is it really a he?

04-04-2016, 02:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rednax Quote
Very nice....
but is it really a he?
It was hairy like a he is..........
04-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

Well, If the thinking went some thing like: go around? Na, I'll just fly straight though. ..Then chanses are it's a he...Otherwise a wast majority of bees are actually girls...
04-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is only one female to a hive and that is the Queen Bee. The drones or males are out there gathering food for the queen.

Tony

04-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, If the thinking went some thing like: go around? Na, I'll just fly straight though. ..Then chanses are it's a he...Otherwise a wast majority of bees are actually girls...
Being a worker would make it a male..............

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 06:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
There is only one female to a hive and that is the Queen Bee. The drones or males are out there gathering food for the queen.

Tony
Very True Tony.....
04-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Being a worker would make it a male..............

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 06:28 AM ----------

Very True Tony.....
Nope, you´re wrong there. All bees in a hive are actually females except for the drones. The drones do not work at all, They don´t even eat by themself, but are fed by the workers(female) All they do (the lucky ones) is occasionally mate with the queen. Then they die. The little , female, working bees are during a period,towards autumn, very busy with pushing them out or dragging the corpses out of the hive. Drones that don´t leave voluntarily are killed by the busy little females. The working bees are the ones responsible for gathering pollen and nektar and feeding the queen (and the drones). Also interesting is that the drones(male) don´t have a stinger, so they are both harmless and defenseless. (and pretty lazy)
I think your photo is really beautiful. But it shoves a female worker. She´s had a productive life witch you can see on the torn wingtips.

Last edited by rednax; 04-05-2016 at 05:00 PM.
04-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nope, you´re wrong there. All bees in a hive are actually females except for the drones. The drones do not work at all, They don´t even eat by themself, but are fed by the workers(female) All they do (the lucky ones) is occasionally mate with the queen. Then they die. The little , female, working bees are during a period,towards autumn, very busy with pushing them out or dragging the corpses out of the hive. Drones that don´t leave voluntarily are killed by the busy little females. The working bees are the ones responsible for gathering pollen and nektar and feeding the queen (and the drones). Also interesting is that the drones(male) don´t have a stinger, so they are both harmless and defenseless. (and pretty lazy)
I think your photo is really beautiful. But it shoves a female worker. She´s had a productive life witch you can see on the torn wingtips.
We'll bow to your wisdom................
04-06-2016, 03:20 AM   #11

Well, actually I´m married to a women with beehives and honeyproduction for a hobby..not so much wisdom...hahaha
04-06-2016, 03:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, actually I´m married to a women with beehives and honeyproduction for a hobby..not so much wisdom...hahaha
Mmmmm Can we say Cheating the scorecard??? LOL
04-06-2016, 04:29 AM   #13

Workers would have been females but the queen's feromon blocks them and they got less royal jelly than queen so they can't be evolve completely.

Sometimes when the queen get lost from beehive some of the workers started to lay eggs. But the fake queens can't maintain the hive and sooner or later it collapses. In that state the hive could only produce drones...
04-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

After such a hard, productive life....what a way to go, ending up being dinner for a spider.

I agree, it is a beautiful photograph.
04-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments.