Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Multnomah Falls - Experimenting with longer exposures
Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Multnomah Falls 
Posted By: jathornt, 04-05-2016, 09:46 PM

I'm relatively new, not only to this forum but also to photography. This picture was taken with my K-50 while my wife and I were on vacation in Oregon. Please share any pointers or tips you have, especially with PP because I am not very confident editing photos yet. As a side note, I was really thankful for the weather protection during this shot because the waterfall spray was out of control.

Attached Images

Views: 753
04-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I like the composition. The background and foreground falls aren't directly lined up; that's good because it adds depth to the scene.

The humidity in the air mutes the colors. What processing software do you have? With Lightroom, I'd try applying extra contrast or clarity or dehaze to see what happens (not all 3 at the same time; that will look like a cartoon rather than a photograph). I might also try a B&W conversion.
04-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can you tell us exactly what you did settings, hand held, tripod etc ?
04-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes, spray from waterfalls. Was trying to get a picture from an overlook of a trail that went behind a waterfall in Iceland. Keep camera under rain poncho as long as possible, whip it out and snap a picture without framing. In less that two seconds the lens (=the protective clear filter) was coated with moisture. There was another waterfall the base of which was hidden behind a massive rock, but you could see the base through the crack where the outflow escaped. However, the falling water created a constant wind coming out, supersaturated with mist, utterly impossible to photograph even with a waterproof P&S. Putting your face to the crack was like facing up into a shower head.

04-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! I had the very good fortune of visiting the Northwest several years ago, and got to see these falls. The whole gorge area along the river is spectacular! Didn't have a good camera with me though. 8( If you have the chance to go to the Mount St. Helens area it's definitely a bucket list must-see. We were there 20 years after the eruption, and it still looked like a lunar landscape. Entire ridges covered with downed trees. Indescribable.

There are many good image processing programs, some free and some pricey. All depends on your level of interest. My favorite free program is PhotoFiltre for simple to moderately advanced image processing. GIMP is also free and much more powerful. For RAW format images I've been trying out RawTherapee, also free. Here on the forum you'll get lots of good advice from folks who use many different programs, and everyone has their favorites. Lots of good choices. Best of luck with your photography. This forum is a great place to learn and share.
04-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I like the composition. The background and foreground falls aren't directly lined up; that's good because it adds depth to the scene.

The humidity in the air mutes the colors. What processing software do you have? With Lightroom, I'd try applying extra contrast or clarity or dehaze to see what happens (not all 3 at the same time; that will look like a cartoon rather than a photograph). I might also try a B&W conversion.
Thanks DeadJohn, I think some of the composition elements happened more by accident than anything else.

I use Pixelmator (which is a mac specific processing software). Those are great tips, I'll look and see if I can find those settings within pixelmator.

---------- Post added 04-06-16 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
can you tell us exactly what you did settings, hand held, tripod etc ?
Sure. I took the shot hand held because I left my tripod at home.

Settings were as follows:
ISO 100
18mm
f/9
1/6

Apet-Sure the northwest really is amazing! I've visited Mount Saint Helens a few times and it's astounding. I've never seen anything like it. I'm hoping to make it up there this summer and actually bring a camera this time.

WPRESTO that sounds crazy. I've always wanted to go to Iceland! Definitely on my bucket list.
04-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jathornt Quote
...Thanks DeadJohn, I think some of the composition elements happened more by accident than anything else...
Accidents are okay. Knowing which photos to display (good accidents) and which to delete is an essential part of photography.
04-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a very good shot, especially at that s/s handheld. You might play with increasing the contrast and/or with saturation and color cast. But, frankly, I really like the way it came out. It's got a unique quality to it, sort of film-like. Good job!

04-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks DeadJohn, I think some of the composition elements happened more by accident than anything else.

I use Pixelmator (which is a mac specific processing software). Those are great tips, I'll look and see if I can find those settings within pixelmator.

---------- Post added 04-06-16 at 09:11 AM ----------

Sure. I took the shot hand held because I left my tripod at home.

Settings were as follows:
ISO 100
18mm
f/9
1/6

Apet-Sure the northwest really is amazing! I've visited Mount Saint Helens a few times and it's astounding. I've never seen anything like it. I'm hoping to make it up there this summer and actually bring a camera this time.

WPRESTO that sounds crazy. I've always wanted to go to Iceland! Definitely on my bucket list.
Ok, that helps. Handheld at those shutter speeds is optimistic at best. Yes, you may get 'interesting' effects but generally you will get photos that you will delete.

The tripod or at the very least a good quality monopod is an essential tool that should accompany you whenever you carry your camera. What constitutes a "good quality" mono or tri - pod ? One that you can lean on heavily and not have it flex or move. Then add in a good head, I prefer the pistol grip / trigger styles myself, but which ever type you go for make sure it is easy to adjust.

Slik, Vanguard and Manfrotto are all reputable brands who make good top end products, stay away from the cheapies regardless of brand, a flimsy product is useless. How do you choose?....go to a camera store and set a couple tripods out and test them, lean on them, wriggle them, twist them and the same with mono pods....you will soon work it out. The weight may be an issue if you are are a hiker.

As already stated, when venturing into conditions like this be aware of mist on the lens, so a few good quality lens cloths are also essential, most camera stores will carry these.

Investigate ND filters or the new adjustable ones, very handy for the sort of shots you were attempting.

Composition. Move around, (memo to self....practice what you preach )...look around, search out different takes on the same thing and allow time if you can (we are talking in the perfect world here ).

Most importantly....shoot and shoot again, experiment and have fun.
hope that helps a bit.
10-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm relatively new, not only to this forum but also to photography. This picture was taken with my K-50 while my wife and I were on vacation in Oregon. Please share any pointers or tips you have, especially with PP because I am not very confident editing photos yet. As a side note, I was really thankful for the weather protection during this shot because the waterfall spray was out of control.
I like it, Personally I like a slightly faster shutter speed to get just a little texture on the water, but that is a personal taste.