Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A walk at Beaver Lake
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Beaver Lake Nature Center 
Posted By: boriscleto, 04-09-2016, 06:57 PM

Always have to stop at the visitor center feeder first.

Nice to be able to compare a Hairy and a Downy side by side.

On to the bog.

Weird highlights @ F/7.1 & 135mm...

Views: 904
04-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is mine the only feeder in the world that doesn't get flickers? What am I doing wrong? And where is all your snow?

Thanks for sharing.

It reminds me that at some point this year, not this coming week, but some time int he future, my place might look like that.
04-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why is mine the only feeder in the world that doesn't get flickers? What am I doing wrong? And where is all your snow?

Thanks for sharing.

It reminds me that at some point this year, not this coming week, but some time int he future, my place might look like that.
That is a Red-bellied Woodpecker, not a Flicker

The snow melted last week, well a few days ago. It was cold today though. Just above freezing this afternoon.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-09-2016 at 07:37 PM.
04-10-2016, 05:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That is a Red-bellied Woodpecker, not a Flicker

The snow melted last week, well a few days ago. It was cold today though. Just above freezing this afternoon.
We were -18ºC last night. It wasn't this cold most of the winter. The birds are stuck here and don't want to go further north. They're eating $10 of seed every day. If the warm weather doesn't come soon, I'm going to go bankrupt.

Oh, good, so you don't get flickers either, I feel much better now.

04-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We get flickers. One woke me up the other day drumming on the roof. They like lawns more than feeders.

04-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
We get flickers. One woke me up the other day drumming on the roof. They like lawns more than feeders.

That's what mine are like. What's with that drumming on the roof thing? We have a metal roof, it's really loud and really irritating. You can't sleep through it.
04-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We were -18ºC last night. It wasn't this cold most of the winter. The birds are stuck here and don't want to go further north. They're eating $10 of seed every day. If the warm weather doesn't come soon, I'm going to go bankrupt.

Well now you have a flicker of hope so I guess you did get your flicker after all.

I have stopped feeding the birds for the simple reason that all we get are (Insert COC violating language here) squirrels They are ruining everything I have out there. Since I live in the burbs I am contemplating getting a pellet gun to get rid of the darn things. I would prefer to use the 12 gauge that I shoot sporting clay with, but that may attract unwanted attention from various law enforcement agencies.

Anybody have a Great Northern Owl to lend me?

Nice shot of the nature center. I really need to get out to Mendon Ponds park near where I live. Plus, now that the road is completely open at the Montezuma NWR I need to stop there again.

04-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have stopped feeding the birds for the simple reason that all we get are (Insert COC violating language here) squirrels They are ruining everything I have out there.
The squirrels and I have come to a truce. What's on the big bird feeder they can have, but they have to stay off the small bird feeders. The ravens are so big the squirrels have to back off, and occasionally a Grackle of Blue Jay will put a squirrel in it's place. But the latest factor is our new dog Jesse. She is relentless getting after the squirrels.
04-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice shot of the nature center. I really need to get out to Mendon Ponds park near where I live. Plus, now that the road is completely open at the Montezuma NWR I need to stop there again.
I like to shoot Montezuma in the morning. So I've been waiting for morning temps to be above freezing. I really should get out there though. Better weather by mid-week.
04-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

NIce shots, I'm disappointed about no beavers though...

I've got one, it's been eating the chickens. I haven't seen it except for a blur in the night. But I know it's a great horned owl from the sounds it makes.

Wow, you guys have it cold over there.
Our snow has been gone the last couple weeks with over 20°C this week.
04-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice shots. Right up by me (Morrisville). I'll have to pop by :-)
04-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well now you have a flicker of hope so I guess you did get your flicker after all.

I have stopped feeding the birds for the simple reason that all we get are (Insert COC violating language here) squirrels They are ruining everything I have out there. Since I live in the burbs I am contemplating getting a pellet gun to get rid of the darn things. I would prefer to use the 12 gauge that I shoot sporting clay with, but that may attract unwanted attention from various law enforcement agencies.

There are many all metal "squirrel proof" feeders on the market.
04-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice photos boriscleto! Excellent photo of the Hairy and Downy woodpeckers together; shows the differences quite well.