Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
"The Photographer"
Posted By: alamo5000, 04-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Another shot from my stay here in Istanbul. Just in case you are wondering what was going on... they opened a new football (soccer) arena and saying that 'it drew a crowd' would be an understatement. I have a whole series of shots... it was an absolutely massive event. For some reason this shot has something subtle about it that draws my eye to it.

Views: 872
04-13-2016, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Nice clear image, you've captured the crowd well and the haze in the air gives you a nice depth perspective. Perhaps not the best colours but the banners give a nice touch.

It certainly makes you wonder how that image he is taking turned out...... Well done
04-13-2016, 06:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Nice clear image, you've captured the crowd well and the haze in the air gives you a nice depth perspective. Perhaps not the best colours but the banners give a nice touch.

It certainly makes you wonder how that image he is taking turned out...... Well done
I noticed the same thing about the colors... part of it was what the photographer was wearing... the other big factor was that it was extremely smoky even where I was... I was shooting through a cloud of smoke...

If I could figure out a way to brighten up the photographer's shirt I would try it and see... but that said this was totally random street photography so pretty much I had to take what I could get in the middle of chaos

Is it 100% perfect in every regard? Nahhh.. but that said this is the full monty... no cropping at all. I have been making a conscious effort to frame up and get the composition right as I shoot. Here are a few other shots that are the same thing. No straighten or crops applied at all.

Just for a sense I am thinking it was easily several hundred thousand people out there... if not more than that. Probably at least a million maybe? I don't know how to figure all that out but all I know is there was a bunch and it was very chaotic but very fun to shoot. I kept getting hugs and high fives and they kept on singing and just partying

This is a shot of the crowd... just for reference... it was like that down the street for a long way.... according to Google Map it was 1.8km before the crowd started to thin out some... there was just no way to get all the way through it... it was just nuts. A crowd like the one below for 1.8km down a major 4 lane road including on the sidewalks on both sides...

It was pretty epic to go to a football party like that. All in all though minus a few drunks that were trying to cause a problem it was a very fun crowd that didn't really hurt anything.

It started to thin out some over time but it was just huge. It particularly started thinning out when the cops started tear gassing the crowd Generally though once the game was about started it thinned out quite a bit....also the cops pretty much intervened and were blocking the place off making sure nothing bad happened.

Apparently this guy came prepared LOL!

04-19-2016, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Adam

So far this has been a very fun trip... no matter what else happens I think I have some memories to last a lifetime here....

---------- Post added 04-19-16 at 12:59 PM ----------

Here is another one from the set... I kind of like this one too...

04-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm glad you mentioned up front that this was a football match, the last image could easily have been an inner city riot!

Purely a personal opinion, but have you tried cropping it down to just take in the line of policemen with riot shields? Again the haze in the air gives a perception of depth, and if it was cropped so all you could see were policemen in the row it would give an impression that the line went on for longer.

Just a thought, good image all the same. Well done
04-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I'm glad you mentioned up front that this was a football match, the last image could easily have been an inner city riot!

Purely a personal opinion, but have you tried cropping it down to just take in the line of policemen with riot shields? Again the haze in the air gives a perception of depth, and if it was cropped so all you could see were policemen in the row it would give an impression that the line went on for longer.

Just a thought, good image all the same. Well done
I haven't cropped anything. None of the images are cropped or straightened at all. One of the skills I have been trying to focus on is getting the shot right the first time and framing it and composing it right when I see it. Naturally it's not an exact science but I have been getting a lot more keepers since I have been putting in that effort.

Feel free to crop and show me what you mean... I am all ears/eyes

This 'event' actually made the news even back in the US...I saw where several international news outlets covered it across several countries... not because of the game but because of the antics before the game. It was pretty epic I do have to admit.