Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
View from Village Pizza - Widbey Island Washington
Lens: DA 20-40 ltd Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Widbey Island, WA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F19 
Posted By: troika, 04-17-2016, 09:02 AM

Pretty good pizza too.

Views: 610
04-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

This scenery respects the rule of thirds, so it look very good. Congratulations!
04-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Pretty good pizza too.
Hello May I ask a question? I am still new to photography. I noticed you shot this with f19, is there an effect you were after in this situation? I think it is a great shot.
Thanks in advance for your help
04-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sure, it was a couple of factors.*

First was I wanted as much of the picture in focus as possible. The water and the mountains, so I wanted the deepest possible depth of field. Second, it was sunny, so I needed to/had an opportunity to go with a smaller aperture. Third is that it is a new-to-me lens and I wanted to see how it performed stopped down that far. I'm reasonably sure that i was shooting in Tav mode.

The focal length was 40mm and the shutter speed was 1/30, so I was relying on shake resistance a bit. It wouldn't have hurt to have my shutter speed a bit faster, but it wouldn't have affected the result. My guess is that I stopped down as far as I could go with the aperture before the ISO changed to 200.

So, lowest possible ISO for clarity. Shutter speed adequate for the focal length and aperture as stopped down as possible for maximum depth of field.

*I don't actually know what I'm doing. But, I'm learning too.

04-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thank you for the detailed reply I don't think I have tried f19, I usually try to stay within f11 except when shooting into bright light. I should start trying out new things I use AV most of the time, and the camera seems to recommend high iso over slow shutter. Maybe I am too dependent on the camera I will keep trying to improve and thanks again for your help
04-19-2016, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Sure, it was a couple of factors.*

First was I wanted as much of the picture in focus as possible. The water and the mountains, so I wanted the deepest possible depth of field. Second, it was sunny, so I needed to/had an opportunity to go with a smaller aperture. Third is that it is a new-to-me lens and I wanted to see how it performed stopped down that far. I'm reasonably sure that i was shooting in Tav mode.

The focal length was 40mm and the shutter speed was 1/30, so I was relying on shake resistance a bit. It wouldn't have hurt to have my shutter speed a bit faster, but it wouldn't have affected the result. My guess is that I stopped down as far as I could go with the aperture before the ISO changed to 200.

So, lowest possible ISO for clarity. Shutter speed adequate for the focal length and aperture as stopped down as possible for maximum depth of field.

*I don't actually know what I'm doing. But, I'm learning too.
For reference, the hyperfocal distance for 40mm at f8 is a subject at 33 feet. So focusing on any object 33 feet away at f8 would mean everything from 17 feet to infinity would have been in focus.

I can understand the object of testing a lens and seeing what f19 looks like, but for any other technical reason, in this case, it's overkill by a wide margin.

Relying on shake reduction to correct for shutter speeds lower than really necessary doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially in this photo where there is no extreme foreground anchor. You would have also avoided some diffraction issues staying at f8-f11.

There are subjects and times where f19 for an aps-c image is almost a necessity, but this instance it was not.
04-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
see...that's why I come here. I learn so much from more experienced members.

Thank you for the lesson.
04-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing both the picture and your explanation of why you shot it the way you did. Also thanks to comments from other members. Makes it easy to learn.

I was stationed at the Whidbey Island Naval Air Station in Oak Harbor for 18 months during 1965 - 1966. Really enjoyed the scenery in that area.