Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Darwin Award or Epic Selfie Fail - you decide
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Elk Island ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: daacon, 04-24-2016, 09:45 AM

Could this be the reason for my absence ?

It's like one of those go to www.whathappenedtodave.com to see how this ends.

Views: 1,860
04-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, bison have a reputation for being aggressive on occasion. You probably didn't have anything to worry about if it wasn't a bull during the mating season, or if it wasn't a cow with calf.
04-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Yes, bison have a reputation for being aggressive on occasion. You probably didn't have anything to worry about if it wasn't a bull during the mating season, or if it wasn't a cow with calf.
Indeed it was neither and the photo was for dramatic effect only (ie: fully aware of where he was ) . I have interacted with these Bison numerous time , relatively comfortable reading the situation and what you don't see if my car , with the door open ready for a quick exit if need be All that said they are wild animals so there's always a chance of the unexpected.
04-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
All that said they are wild animals so there's always a chance of the unexpected.
I thought all Canadian national park bison get cultural sensitivity training; if they don't play nice with the tourists they get shipped out to a bison rancher to finish their days as a replica NWMP buffalo robe and restaurant roast. It's the uneducated American bison at Yellowstone that get away with a bad attitude (mind you if I had to put up with all that traffic day in and day out, I would have a bad attitude as well).

04-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I thought all Canadian national park bison get cultural sensitivity training; if they don't play nice with the tourists they get shipped out to a bison rancher to finish their days as a replica NWMP buffalo robe and restaurant roast. It's the uneducated American bison at Yellowstone that get away with a bad attitude (mind you if I had to put up with all that traffic day in and day out, I would have a bad attitude as well).
04-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, you wouldn't want to mess with a bull bison with cows in heat nearby. I've heard what a bison bull can do to a 2,000 lb. Hereford bull, so it would make short work of a human.
04-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Which one is the bison? I have missed you Dave.

04-27-2016, 05:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Which one is the bison? I have missed you Dave.
haaha thanks Susan hope to be around more now
04-27-2016, 05:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I have interacted with these Bison numerous time , relatively comfortable reading the situation .
That's how zookeepers (and sometimes aquarium keepers) get killed by a particular individual animal with whom they've interacted for a decade. "I know this animal and it knows me." Last words.
04-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Which one is the bison?
Awe, come on!
Have you ever seen a bison in sunglasses?
04-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously, this would have been a good image for the "Caption Contest." "Which of these has the harder head?"
04-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's how zookeepers (and sometimes aquarium keepers) get killed by a particular individual animal with whom they've interacted for a decade. "I know this animal and it knows me." Last words.
Yep I do have respect for these animals and by respect I mean I always have an escape plan. In this case just a few feet in from of me is my car , with the door open. I don't get complacent with these beasts , but yeah there has probably been an occasion or two I was too close.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Awe, come on!
Have you ever seen a bison in sunglasses?
Not me !

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Obviously, this would have been a good image for the "Caption Contest." "Which of these has the harder head?"
While mine is pretty hard pretty sure in a full charge head to head my would splatter.
04-28-2016, 02:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bison have always been fascinating to me. Of course when they are born they are very small and grow up to be 2000+ pound animals. All they drink is water and all they eat is grass. Now that may sound odd that all they drink is water, but unless they can whip up a smoothie in winter time, that is it. Meaning if they were carnivores, they would have the blood of their prey to take in. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Tonytee
04-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Bison have always been fascinating to me. Of course when they are born they are very small and grow up to be 2000+ pound animals. All they drink is water and all they eat is grass. Now that may sound odd that all they drink is water, but unless they can whip up a smoothie in winter time, that is it. Meaning if they were carnivores, they would have the blood of their prey to take in. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Tonytee
I would concur - pretty docile in general until 'rutting time
04-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the sunglasses suit you Dave and I do agree with your sentiments, a few feet from the car with the door open, so far I never had to take advantage of it.