Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Night over Mt. Teide
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm 4.0-5.6 Camera: K3 II Photo Location: Mt. Teide, Tenerife, Spain ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Pete_XL, 04-25-2016, 06:02 AM

The Milkyway (northern part), the Plejades and a meteor in the skies above the moonlit Mt. Teide.

The vulcano Mt. Teide is the highest mountain in Spain (3.719 m). The skies up there are so clear and dark that they have built the European Northern Observatory at 2.400 m above the sea near the caldera of the vulvano.

Composition of 15 images (stacked) before moonrise and one image after moonrise (two hours later) to lighten up the landscape. All Images of the series have 25 seconds exposure time.

Attached Images

Views: 1,413
04-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gorgeous! The milky way is shining bright. What's the black spot near the base of the rock edifice on the left?

Did you use dark sky stacker or just Photoshop to do the stacks?
04-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Gorgeous! The milky way is shining bright. What's the black spot near the base of the rock edifice on the left?

Did you use dark sky stacker or just Photoshop to do the stacks?
The black spot should a be part of a shadow of one of one of the rock piles. I will look into the original this evening to find out.....

I stacked in DeepSkyStacker and processed and merged the intermediate images within Photoshop. Final optimization was done in Lightroom.

I first stacked a black&white version (discolored and optimized in Lightroom) and a color version of the 15 dark shots separately in DeepSkyStacker. The two resulting 32 bit-files were then processed separately in Photoshop and finally merged to deliver the starry sky. The black&white version was used as the luminance layer. The image of the moonlit landscape was then imported as a layer, masked and merged. Naturaly the little meteor was present in only one of the 15 dark images. This image was therefore loaded separately into a layer and had to be blended in manually to get the final image.
04-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful image!
I need to study how this is done (stacking) and practice a bit to see what I can do.
Many years ago, about 20-25 years, I had the chance to visit Gran Canaria and Tenerife. Fantastic landscapes and friendly people. It really was a nice vacation. If anyone has a chance to visit, get out and see the countryside of the islands, the little villages in the mountains and the incredible volcanic formations, cliffs, vistas. I hope to get back there someday. Such a beautiful space, but so far away.

04-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
What's the black spot near the base of the rock edifice on the left?

Yep, its a drowned shadow spot produced by the protuding left part of the first rock.
04-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice composition and technique but the Milky Way looks too desaturated to me. In reality it has some color!
04-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Really nice composition and technique but the Milky Way looks too desaturated to me. In reality it has some color!
Yes, you are right, Its a pity that there are merely no colors in the Milky Way .

But I pointed to the northwith my camera and the northern part of the Milky Way at that time and location nearly had no colors, perhaps a very faint at red blush here and there. Ponting the camera to the south the Milky Way would probably have been spectacular but there was no vulcano to target

Here ist are two screenshots of the northern and southern Milky Way from Star Walk App of that time and location to show what I mean:

Attached Images