Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

All about Dark Eyed Juncos.
Posted By: normhead, 04-25-2016, 09:44 AM

K-3 - DA*200 ƒ2.8 with HD DA 1.4 TC and F1.7 AF adapter Stacked
400 ISO, ƒ8, AV mode.

I've seen enough variation in the Juncos out there, I've been wondering if there was more than one species. Apparently one species with great colour vacations.

The slates....

And those who have a lot more brown and therefor look much more like the sparrows, that hang out with them this time of year.

I wondered if they were male and female, but can't find that anyone has much to say on the topic. Except Cornell says they have great colour variation, and Wiki says there are subspecies but doesn't provide identifying photos.

Is there a Dark Eyed Junco expert in the house?
Views: 1,551
04-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Now I don't feel so bad. It is damn hard to find out what's going on at these Canadian parks. I've been looking for information on Presque'ile, Long Point, Rondeau Point Pelee and Holiday Beach, but information is hard to come by. I'm thinking a road trip might be in order. Although, I'm waiting on hip surgery so this might not be the best year.

04-26-2016, 05:00 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
My error, it does appear in my new Sibley's Western North American guide. and yes, I live in Montana!
I grew up on the other side of the 49th parallel from you (in Saskatchewan), so I have some familiarity with Montana and the Pink-sided Junco.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2016 at 09:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now I don't feel so bad. It is damn hard to find out what's going on at these Canadian parks. I've been looking for information on Presque'ile, Long Point, Rondeau Point Pelee and Holiday Beach, but information is hard to come by. I'm thinking a road trip might be in order. Although, I'm waiting on hip surgery so this might not be the best year.
Have you tried these sites?

Presqu'ile Prov. Pk.
The Friends of Presqu\'ile Park

Holiday Beach
Holiday Beach Migration Observatory | Dedicated to the study and long-term monitoring of migratory birds

Long Point Bird Observatory
https://www.facebook.com/LPBObs

Rondeau
Friends of Rondeau

Point Pelee
Friends of Point Pelee-Home

Ontario Field Ornithologists (all of the above)
OFO - Site
04-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've been to those sites and check back every couple of days, however being a relative rookie, I want to do a couple of guided walks, so I'm waiting for actual schedules to be posted before I plan my trip, and last time i checked there was no detailed information information on things that will be happening.
04-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lots of great info being decimated here along with some great looking bird photos.