Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Photographers lined up to shoot moonbows in Yosemite.
Camera: Ricoh Theta S Photo Location: Yosemite NP 
Posted By: uday029, 04-25-2016, 10:33 AM

There were around 30 to 40 photographers lined up at 11PM in the night trying to shoot moonbows at Upper Yosemite Falls. Unfortunately we could not get the moonbows from this angle (something to do with angle of moon). It was a fun shoot though.

Theta Image

Views: 669
04-25-2016, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
There were around 30 to 40 photographers lined up at 11PM in the night trying to shoot moonbows at Upper Yosemite Falls. Unfortunately we could not get the moonbows from this angle (something to do with angle of moon). It was a fun shoot though.
At first I thought your Theta photo was shot during daylight. How did you get the colours to look like it was shot during daylight?

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 04-25-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo error
04-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
At first I though your Theta photo was shot during daylight. How did you get the colours to look like it was shot during daylight?
It was a full moon night and the moonlight was directly shining on the cliffs and waterfalls. If I remember correctly, this was a 30 sec exposure.
04-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coolest pic ever. Love the theta shot!

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 06:03 PM ----------

At first I thought your Theta photo was shot during daylight. How did you get the colours to look like it was shot during daylight?
The moon is just a sun reflector, so all the same colors are there, no?

04-26-2016, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
The moon is just a sun reflector, so all the same colors are there, no?
I guess the proof of that is in the photo. I'm so used to thinking of twilight as blue that I never considered that a moonlight night should have a daytime colour balance. I learn something every day on PentaxForums.
04-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
The moon is just a sun reflector
I remember when I got my first tripod as a Christmas gift, spent New Year's Eve at the Rimrock in Banff and bright moonlight filled our hotel room with beautiful, high contrast stark white illumination. Set up a time exposure and when I got the film developed I was so disappointed in the boring normal colours I got.

To get on topic, this is a great demonstration for what the Theta can do.
04-27-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the proof of that is in the photo. I'm so used to thinking of twilight as blue that I never considered that a moonlight night should have a daytime colour balance. I learn something every day on PentaxForums.
i think our human limitations in low light cause the rods to dominate the cones, thus changing our relative perception of colors in low light, but of course the camera has no such limitation and can reproduce colors as they are. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, anyway, lol.