Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Plane crash on Highway
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 07-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Hey everyone.. gosh I sure have missed everyone.. It seems like forever since I have been able to post or even lurk for that matter.. I have one more little trip this week then I am home for the summer... WHEW.. its going to feel good just to be home for awhile..

Anyway.. on the way back from the Oregon Coast we were delayed because a small plane had crashed on the road !!!!! So being the true photographer I am.. lol.. I grabbed my trusty steed and got a couple shots.. lol they wouldn't let me get to close but my 80 - 200 did a good job...

The Fire truck was blocking most of it but I got a couple peaks from both side..

Then they finally turned everyone around and let us take this 10 mile side road that took about 40 minutes to drive.. no kidding.... UGH>.. what a day.. We came in 50 yards from were we started.... so I grabbed one last shot..

From what people were saying no one was hurt atleast.... Enjoy. Kim
Views: 5,464
07-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow1 Good shooting. Glad you are back. Missed ya
07-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thankfully no one was killed. What always surprises me is the ridiculous proceedure that follows most accidents. Once the people involved are safely out of the vehicles and clear, the monument building rescue rangers (firemen) should put that truck to good use and push the crap off the road and restore traffic flow. I was told by an accident investigator that most of the fooling around that follows an accident is for insurance companies. I guess we just live in a sue happy world.
07-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Actually spyglass, a lot of what happens after the victim has been secured is also necessary for various reasons... (almost none of them for insurance)

Often fluids are leaking from the crashed vehicles so that needs to be taken care of, batteries must be disconnected to make sure the vehicles don't burst in flames (accident often means crushed wires under the hood that can short out), chunks of debtris has to be picked up to make sure you don't puncture your tires...

If anyone is seriously hurt, or if alcohol was involved there must be a police investigation so the cops take over the scene once we secured it. In this case where there was a plane accident, the NTSB must investigate it, so obviously that road is closed for a while...

You'll be surprised to learn that the fire dept is only at an accident scene in support to the police, we're only in charge of rendering medical to aid and extricating the victim, and securing the scene. Once the scene is secure, the cops are in charge and decide if and when a smashed up car is moved, and if and when a lane is re-opened.

And of course please do consider our fire trucks are NOT plows to push cars!

Pat

07-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Kim, welcome back as I said in the other thread. Great shots. Maybe you have a calling as a press photog! I hope the side detour you had to take was at least scenic! But living in NYC as I do, I have no idea what traffic delays are

NaCl(glad no one was hurt)H2O
07-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Nice reporting Kim.
Gary
07-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice pictures. In the case of an aircraft crash NTSB and FAA also have to release the crash site before traffic flow can be restored.

07-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Cool pic's Kim,
I'm sure glad that there wasn't anyone hurt there
07-13-2008, 03:52 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Great shots Kim! As a pilot (honestly, though, I haven't flown in a while) I was trained to use a roadway as a last resort only. It's not just the vehicular traffic that would be a hazard but the many electrical and telephone cables that zig-zag across our highways would be the big killer. If possible, a farmers field is a far better choice for a forced landing. I know a pilot that landed a small plane on a busy highway and survived. He didn't want to talk about it all that much. Guess he didn't like reliving the near-death experience.
07-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone..

Thank you everyone for your comments and welcome backs.. I am glad you enjoyed the pics..

I am not sure why he landed where he did... The airport was about 10 miles from the crash site and it was pretty smokey due to a forest fire but not that bad... You can't see it in the picture but he actually just plomped where he was.. He came in perpendicular (sp) to the road and barely missed a big barn and some power poles.

Thanks again, im off again for a few days see everyone then!!

Kim
07-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see you back Kim. did you sell your shots to any local papers? These are easily as good as most we see on the frontpage. Good Stuff
07-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Its the Jimmy Olsen in us all trying to get the scoop

cheers
07-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
From what people were saying no one was hurt atleast.... Enjoy. Kim
Good to know, it would have been very disturbing to see this otherwise...
07-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #14

I would defniately agree with Peter as those shots far surpass the news photos in the local papers near me. Great shots = sorry to hear about the traffic issues, atleast you got some great photos.

And hear I only thought people landed airplanes in roads in the movies. Looks like I can start believing things I see on TV. Thanksfully no one was hurt.
07-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Great pictures Kim.

If this was near Bend / Redmond, I'm pretty sure it was this accident(see also). Sounds like the aircraft suffered some sort of engine failure. I imagine with oil on the windscreen, she might not have been able to see exactly what part of the ground she was landing on - hence the fence and road.

As to the investigation, I appreciate that the NTSB, et al try to determine the cause of aviation accidents. Whether the cause of an accident is a mechanical failure, or pilot error, it's important to identify the causes and trends of these accidents, so that we can try to prevent them. Spyglass, WTF, did a firefighter steal your girlfriend?