1 Like  #1
Suleiman Mosque
Posted By: alamo5000, 04-29-2016, 06:57 AM

I probably spelled that wrong but here it is

Views: 727
04-29-2016, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just don't look at the ceiling when you go there. Some brilliant Swiss architects who renovated the mosque a hundred or so years ago painted it in a Baroque style... But there is a beautiful view from the hill towards the Golden Horn, with the roofs of the buildings that form part of the Suleimaniye complex cascading down the hill. I will attach a photo tonight. Should we start an Istanbul thread?
04-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Just don't look at the ceiling when you go there. Some brilliant Swiss architects who renovated the mosque a hundred or so years ago painted it in a Baroque style... But there is a beautiful view from the hill towards the Golden Horn, with the roofs of the buildings that form part of the Suleimaniye complex cascading down the hill. I will attach a photo tonight. Should we start an Istanbul thread?
I didn't get a chance to go inside of this mosque. By the time I got there it was kind of late. It was also just flooding rain... everyone with their Canikon stuff was headed for the hills and me? I kept on shooting I pretty much had the place to myself until about an hour after it stopped raining.

The view from out back? You mean this?

I am telling you... this place is an absolute gem. There is no question about it. I will definitely come back here again. I spent a month just inside of the city and tried to get in the swing of things here. There certainly is no lack of material to photograph around here that's for sure.
04-29-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I didn't get a chance to go inside of this mosque. By the time I got there it was kind of late. It was also just flooding rain... everyone with their Canikon stuff was headed for the hills and me? I kept on shooting I pretty much had the place to myself until about an hour after it stopped raining.

The view from out back? You mean this?

I am telling you... this place is an absolute gem. There is no question about it. I will definitely come back here again. I spent a month just inside of the city and tried to get in the swing of things here. There certainly is no lack of material to photograph around here that's for sure.
I have a picture exactly from that spot, just a bit to the right. I agree, you can spend a lot of time there... Not surprising, I guess, the city is almost 3000 years old.

04-29-2016, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating place. I love the exotic feel you have captured. TFS.
04-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I have a picture exactly from that spot, just a bit to the right. I agree, you can spend a lot of time there... Not surprising, I guess, the city is almost 3000 years old.
That's one thing I would definitely say to someone looking to visit here... read up on some history before you come. Learning a little bit of Turkish might help too... but if you want to just hang out drinking beer...or sipping tea... or eating a meal overlooking the water... there is plenty of that around... but if a person learns a little bit about the history before they come... they can spend a year here and never see the same thing twice.

In fact the next time I come here I am going to do just that... I will learn more of the history and try to hit up some sites around the country.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Fascinating place. I love the exotic feel you have captured. TFS.
Thank you! It is a stellar place. I have completely enjoyed it. I definitely recommend it...it's extremely photogenic as well. There isn't a lack of things to shoot around here that's for sure.

This is really the first time ever that I have been in a target rich environment so in ways it has been a test for me of my skills.
04-29-2016, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lucky you, having the place to yourself. When I was there a couple of years ago, it was teeming tourists, not rain. You're right about it being a fascinating place. I'd go again tomorrow if there weren't so many other places I haven't been, and even maybe then. I've had a fascination with the Ottoman Empire for a while, and going to Turkey was a long-unfulfilled ambition.

By the way, isn't it called the Sultanahmet mosque (also called the Blue Mosque)? When I first saw the photo, I thought it was the Hagia Sofia, which is nearby.
04-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Lucky you, having the place to yourself. When I was there a couple of years ago, it was teeming tourists, not rain. You're right about it being a fascinating place. I'd go again tomorrow if there weren't so many other places I haven't been, and even maybe then. I've had a fascination with the Ottoman Empire for a while, and going to Turkey was a long-unfulfilled ambition.

By the way, isn't it called the Sultanahmet mosque (also called the Blue Mosque)? When I first saw the photo, I thought it was the Hagia Sofia, which is nearby.
This one and the Blue Mosque are about 25 minutes apart by foot...They are two different places.

The mosque above:

The Blue Mosque:

Hagia Sofia:

The Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia are really close to each other but they are not the same thing. The Hagia Sofia was an old Christian church built in the mid 500AD time frame... it was later converted to a mosque.

There are a lot of the mosques that look alike to be honest. I don't know for sure but I think they borrowed a lot of the same architecture...but I am not really up to speed on the history of everything. There is thousands of years worth of stuff right here...it's just insane how much stuff there is... if you are at all a history buff then by all means this place can keep you busy for a few years.

The mosque in the original post sits on a hill and looks out over the original Istanbul. The second shot is the view off the back porch so to speak. You can see Galata Tower in the background...

As far as there being a too many places that I haven't been yet... I have been to a bunch but this one is a good one for sure! I feel the same way though... so many places, so little wallet....

04-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah yes, I'm aware of the difference between the two buildings adjacent the Hippodrome. Your first photo showed a part of the Suleimanayah Mosque, not the Sultanahmed Mosque, and it looked a little like the Hagia Sofia, which is what threw me. The so-called Blue Mosque (which is barely blue, and only on the interior) is still a mosque, and was built by the Ottoman conqueror of Byzantium, in order to rival the beauty of the Christian Hagia Sofia. The Hagia Sofia was converted to a museum by Ataturk, and it's still a museum, though some of the more backward-looking non-secular Turks would like it converted back into a mosque.

The Ottomans were amazingly tolerant of the conquered peoples (for the time, of course) and kept most of the Christian decorations in the Hagia Sofia, although some were modified to suit their religious prohibitions. They also maintained the name of the city as Constantinople, after the Roman Emperor Constantine, which officially changed to Istanbul only in the time of the Republic. The history of the place is as fascinating as the city, not to mention the rest of Turkey, which boasts more or at least better preserved ancient Greco-Roman cities than Italy.
05-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the photo I was talking about, taken from the same spot as yours
05-01-2016, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, forgot to attach photos
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-01-2016, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And here is the same mosque from the ferry going up the Golden Horn
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-20-2016, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The Blue Mosque:
Love this shot!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-20-2016, 03:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Love this shot!
Thank you.
06-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The area here is the one hit by a car bomb earlier. From what I can tell this is not the mosque that was damaged. The one that actually took some minor damage is about 10 min walk away. In a direct line they are about 500 or 600 meters apart.