Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
1950's Reprise
Photo Location: Seabrook, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-07-2016, 03:00 PM

A couple of weeks ago, at the annual Keels and Wheels Concours in Seabrook, I spotted and photographed this fellow with crossed suspenders walking past an early '50s Oldsmobile. The scene immediately spun me back to small-town summers when I was a young 'un growing up in Southern Illinois. Reviewing the shot before PP, I decided B&W was the right look for this pair - a codger and a car.

Jer

Views: 900
05-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Very nicely done photograph of this '49-'50 Oldsmobile. I'm not sure which year, they looked very similar.

The '88 model of this era, used the smaller, lighter body and with the famous, recently introduced Rocket V8, was known as one of the early Detroit muscle cars. I always liked the powerful exhaust note, burble of the early Rocket V8's...they had punch. My older cousin had a '54 ' 88 and he used to boot it , hard and often. He would take me for some wild rides, which of course I wouldn't go into great detail when telling my parents about my excursions with my older cousin, Billy.

I know what you mean though ...by being taken back to the '50's at the sight of this Olds and codger. Every so often, I also get 'triggered' by old '50's British cars and it takes me back to the days I spent with my Grandfather and his friends, around one neighbour's old Morris Oxford.

When I was small, about 3 to 5 years old, I recall, many times, standing in a circle of old British men, holding my GF's hand. I didn't speak, just listened to the variety of accents...Lowland Scots, Northern Irish, Southwestern English as the old men would talk about days gone by.

To this day I can decipher the thickest British accents. I think I got the knack from listening to this old men's club, back in the 1950's.

BTW, these British men wore suspenders back then, but they called them braces...or bracers.
05-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A step back in time. That shine on those chrome(?) bumpers is amazing. I love old cars & who doesn't love old codgers?? Very nice.
05-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
A cool car nevertheless.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
variety of accents...Lowland Scots
Aye they're the easier one, not like us Highland folk...

but they called them braces...or bracers
Up here those are called galluses.

05-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very nicely done photograph of this '49-'50 Oldsmobile. . . . . . . . . . . . British men wore suspenders back then, but they called them braces...or bracers.
Thanks, Les. I guess we're both showing our age!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
A step back in time. That shine on those chrome(?) bumpers is amazing. I love old cars & who doesn't love old codgers?? Very nice.
Thanks for looking, Joi.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A cool car nevertheless.
It is cool - my Dad drove straight-eight Pontiacs back in those days, and this car reminds me of 'em.

Jer
05-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
It is cool
Aye it just has a bit of style about it, something IMHO modern cars lack and I know it's all done for the right reasons, of economy and safety etc.
05-22-2016, 05:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Love the composition!

05-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Love the composition!
Thanks much. I was lucky to be in the right place and right time to catch the car and the suspenders.

Jer
05-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Very nice indeed.
05-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Very nice indeed.
Thanks much, Janse.

Jer
05-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Retro cars always look great unlike modern ones!
05-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
Retro cars always look great unlike modern ones!
I think they are interesting but look rather like a shoe box with chrome applied. Still, different strokes for different folks.

Jer
06-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A couple of weeks ago, at the annual Keels and Wheels Concours in Seabrook, I spotted and photographed this fellow with crossed suspenders walking past an early '50s Oldsmobile. The scene immediately spun me back to small-town summers when I was a young 'un growing up in Southern Illinois. Reviewing the shot before PP, I decided B&W was the right look for this pair - a codger and a car.

Jer
Love these old cars!
06-28-2018, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Love these old cars!
Me too! Thanks for looking.

Jer