Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Tea Seller
Lens: Canon F2 Camera: Canon S90 Photo Location: Kolkata India ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: nanhi, 05-09-2016, 05:31 AM

Shopping for marriage gifts we reached the stage typified by the Ad "shop till you drop".

We noticed this Tea Vendor - our saviour. Seeing the hygienic throw away earthenware pots and being aware that boiling hot tea will not give us a "running tummy", we stopped by for a refreshing cuppa.

That was the best tea we had, and guess the cost 8 US Cents (INR 5). So we had two cuppas each. Even a 5-star hotel or restaurant wouldn't beat this tea.

It was then that I decided to take out the old Canon S90 for a picture of the Tea Vendor.
Note: Left my pro gear home as there would be Pro Photographers and Videographers at the wedding.

Comments welcome.

Regards.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot S90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot S90  Photo 

Views: 1,057
05-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Shopping for marriage gifts we reached the stage typified by the Ad "shop till you drop".

We noticed this Tea Vendor - our saviour. Seeing the hygienic throw away earthenware pots and being aware that boiling hot tea will not give us a "running tummy", we stopped by for a refreshing cuppa.

That was the best tea we had, and guess the cost 8 US Cents (INR 5). So we had two cuppas each. Even a 5-star hotel or restaurant wouldn't beat this tea.

It was then that I decided to take out the old Canon S90 for a picture of the Tea Vendor.
Note: Left my pro gear home as there would be Pro Photographers and Videographers at the wedding.

Comments welcome.

Regards.
I worked as a temp waiter in a couple of hotels for a short time. I'm not surprised that this man's tea is better than their's.

Good shots!
05-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Antipattern Sir for the encouraging response.

This roadside Tea Vendor has the minimum of utensils with which to make tea. But he does an awesome job day in day out - rain or sunshine.

And the sad part in our country is he remains poor - as my daughter says "Papa don't drive down street vendors on price, as they will never be rich to open a mall".

Regards.
05-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
will not give us a "running tummy", we stopped by for a refreshing cuppa.
Fine street scene photography, was all still good after your two cups each...

05-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kerrowdown Sir for looking and your support.

We were dead tired and my legs were paining. That wonderful strong hot tea was so refreshing. And yes we were still alive after consuming it - no runny tummy.
And those throw away earthen ware cups do not feel hot at all to the touch. Believe me the tea tastes better in it too.

In India large earthen ware pots kept on a mound of wet sand is the poor mans refrigerator. And water tastes a lot better from it.

Regards.

---------- Post added 05-10-16 at 08:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Fine street scene photography, was all still good after your two cups each...
Ah yes Kerrowdown Sir, I am happy to note you are from Scotland.

I was in Motherwell near Ardrie working for General Motors there and would visit our Gear Plant quite often in Peterhead up north. I was quite used to the -40 degrees centigrade temperatures in Peterhead or Edinburgh.

One cold December night I walked into a tavern in Peterhead for some food and whisky. I was greeted by a large group of War Veterans who were celebrating there. One cheerful man asked me Sir, can ye speak English.
I said no. I speak Scottish only. My God, a bunch of them ran towards me and picked me up in much joy. Everything I had at that tavern was on the house from there on.
They even dropped me at my hotel past midnight.

Scot hospitality at its best.

Regards.
05-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
And yes we were still alive after consuming it - no runny tummy.
Good to hear.

Scottish hospitality at its best.
We do try now and again.
05-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Chai has good memories for me and the street food was great most large urban areas, way back in 1986. The economy of the vendors has not changed much and the throw away little cups are still in use. Great photos and thanks for sharing.