Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Two People With One Heifer Equals Two Different Style Poses
Lens: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Camera: Pentax K5 
Posted By: chibae, 05-16-2016, 01:50 PM

I was asked to do a "portrait" of the family heifer by the wife in the family. When I got there her husband, who had grown up showing dairy cattle had a totally different idea of what type of pose the heifer should be in. She had want casual shots in front of the cornfield.

He wanted posed shots, show cow style, by the farm name. Unfortunately there was distracting hardscaping near the sign so I could not center it perfectly under the poor heifer. Although I could have PP'ed his arms out of the shot, he wanted them in as that was how most of the catalogs showed posed dairy cattle.

I sent them a total of 20 finished images. In some the "posing arms" were PP'ed out, in others they stayed. I preferred the more casual shots by the cornfield that had the background blurred but she liked the ones with the stalks in focus. Here are the two favorites, one of his and one of hers.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 972
05-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They are completely different, and for different purposes.

First shot is artistic, second is functional.

First shot is about the heifer, the second is about the farmer.

First shot shows the heifer as an individual, the second treats her as a product/commodity.

You can guess where my sympathy lies. Poor heifer indeed. And I say that as someone who lives in a farming area.
05-16-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
They are completely different, and for different purposes.

First shot is artistic, second is functional.

First shot is about the heifer, the second is about the farmer.

First shot shows the heifer as an individual, the second treats her as a product/commodity.

You can guess where my sympathy lies. Poor heifer indeed. And I say that as someone who lives in a farming area.
Well what turned out to be an interesting fact was that the small acreage they live on had been part of the original family farm he had grown up on. The farm was sold to fund his parents retirement, except for the section where this couple live. The heifer is actually the great granddaughter of a cow that had been his 4h project. They were looking through a auction catalog, noticed her, and he traced her pedigree. She is a gold and white Holstein, not nearly as well known as the black and white ones, and that was what his family had raised.

On the other hand, she hadn't had first hand livestock experience until they married. This is the first cow she has ever had and considers her more of a pet, albeit one very special to her husband, rather than livestock.
05-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pretty cow. I like the first one also.

05-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Pretty cow. I like the first one also.
me too.
05-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by chibae Quote
Two People With One Heifer Equals Two Different Style Poses
I often come across this type a style differences, I always go with the one who's paying my bill.
05-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I often come across this type a style differences, I always go with the one who's paying my bill.
It was the wife who booked me but the husband who took over. Since I had blocked out the afternoon for them I saw no harm in accommodating both. That way there was no friction between them. Although the wife emailed me privately to apologize.

05-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

As Groucho said:

"I know, heifer cow is better than none, but this is no time for puns."

Well done.
05-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
blocked out the afternoon for them I saw no harm in accommodating both
You could get a job with UN Diplomatic Corps, you smooth talker you.
05-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You could get a job with UN Diplomatic Corps, you smooth talker you.
Why thank you. I do have a diplomatic facade. You don't want to hear the words that come into my head that I won't let my mouth speak.
05-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't want to hear the words that come into my head that I won't let my mouth speak.
Go on whisper them...