Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hell's Half Acre...
Posted By: clarenceclose, 02-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Went into the lava lands north of us.

The plants are coming back and taking over.

Here and there comes some wildlife.

C&C appreciated.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-13-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Views: 1,432
02-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-13-2008 at 07:59 PM.
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #3

You always have the most amazing and interesting pictures!
02-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #4

There's a bunny living in hell!! I didn't expect that!

As always nice pics, but I wouldn't call all of them hell' half acre. The one with the moss is a nice sign of life pic.

The tree shots would have done well in the survival challenge a few weeks ago.

D

02-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very rough rocky terrain you have been photographing there. Great shots

The scenery looks rather unique and intruing. It seems you have a very pleasant trip travelling around with k10d

02-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I also like these interesting shots! My favourites are photos in second series... great play with light, shadows, detail and texture... thanks for sharing.
02-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Clarence, nice work as usaual. Couple of questions. On the pano I think the mountains need a little punch. I like the color splashes in them all. Thanks again for sharing.
02-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Clarence, great series as always. I especially like the two lichen pics. Life is so tenacious! I agree with Pat B. above on the pano, but maybe instead of giving the mountains some "punch" I'd think about increasing the color of the sky, or something to give the mountain/sky line more contrast. On my admittedly terrible work monitor, the mountains stand out from the foreground, but not from the sky.

NaCl(always enjoy your shots)H2O

02-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments and critiques.

Reference the pano...Those mountains are considerable distance away so the haze is fierce. I did a haze reduction routine to try and bring them more forward with limited success. Didn't have my polarizer on that lens, which may have done better. I can put a black gradiant over the top of the photo and go to blend mode soft light or overlay which would bring them forward more. Will have to play when I get home.

Reference bunny: It is surprising the wildlife that inhabits this area. The lava bubbled up and cracked all over the place providing lots of shelter for smaller beasties. I have been underground in lava tubes and found the remains of lots of different rodents of all sizes as well as skunk and coyote. As the wind blows in soil and the weathering action combined with the lichens make the minerals available, the plant life comes back followed by critters and the airborne hunters.

Reference Hell's Half Acre...that is the official name of this place, given by the highway department. It is considerably larger than a half acre as this is a lava flow from the Craters of the Moon National monument quite some distance away. In the summer time all these dark rock and minimal vegetation make it feel like the hinges of Hell though.

What I find interesting about these landforms is the amount of water that is available, hence the mosses. Of course they tend to dry up in the summer but there are springs in these flows which attract wildlife and underground there are ice caves where the temperature, no matter how hot it gets on the surface, remains at or below freezing. With this comes air movement and quite often I find mosses growing at the openings to the underground reservoirs where moist air exits up.
02-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Clarence

These are great shots. My favourites are in the second series of shots.

I'm a bit dumbfounded by the dark ground with the dark green trees in the first series and I'm asking myself if that is how it really looks out there? I'm sure it does, but I'm not believing my eyes. Not criticizing your picture at all - I am simply amazed about the scenery that you have captured so well.

Thanks for putting these up!
02-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Clarence, I like 'em all but especially the third one in your first post - the dabs of various colors against the rock are intriguing.

Jer
02-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Whenever I see a great series like these images I think "coffee table book". Wouldn't these be great in a coffee table book? Somehow I enjoy a photo book more than a wall hanging. It must be the book lover in me. Thanks for sharing these Clarence.
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great series Clarence, how did you manage to get so close to that wabbit without spooking it? Long tele or are you quiet as a mouse?
02-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA50-200 @ 200 and dumb rabbit.

Alvin, Thank you. Lava and the dark nature of juniper trees give it that overall dark look.

Sailor, Thank you. Lichens and tiny growth clinging to harsh rock has always been attractive to me too.

LaRee, Thank you for such a nice complement.