Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Another night with the astrotracer
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Glen Sutton (Quebec) ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: SunValley, 05-17-2016, 08:00 PM

That spot is just north of Vermont and has no major cities for miles and miles looking south. Unfortunately that night (last Thursday) the forest fires in Alberta sent us some smoke that made it difficult to see the Milky Way! That's the best I could manage that night.

3 min exposure for the stars with astrotracer and 3 min for the foreground, blended in PSE 14.

I then switched to a 105 mm f/2.8 Sigma to zoom in on the very heart of the Milky Way

10 X 40 s iso 1600

That astrotracer function is a really great piece of engineering!
Views: 698
05-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is great!
05-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you have any shooting and processing tips to share? I'm still struggling to capture the Milky Way like that.
05-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
This is great!
Thanks Igor!

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Do you have any shooting and processing tips to share? I'm still struggling to capture the Milky Way like that.
First thing is darkness, you have to find a spot far away from city lights. PP can compensate only partially for light pollution. From Montreal I have to drive one hour at the very least. Then use a fast lens like that 21/3.2 limited you have. For that kind of use the 16-50 is ok but not great. Then have the astrotracer do its trick. 2-3 min shots with the 21mm wide open. Take another shot with astrotracer off for the foreground. I run my images through Topaz Adjust (adaptative exposure) and Clarity. That really brings out MW detail without the need for local adjustment. That new haze removal tool can so times replace Clarity.

Hope this helps!

05-19-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
I run my images through Topaz Adjust (adaptative exposure) and Clarity. That really brings out MW detail without the need for local adjustment. That new haze removal tool can so times replace Clarity.
If that's all there is to it, then maybe I should take a look at what that Topaz plug-in does, because playing with various exposure settings never seems to do the trick in Lightroom. I've often had too much light pollution in my images though, that's true.
05-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If that's all there is to it, then maybe I should take a look at what that Topaz plug-in does, because playing with various exposure settings never seems to do the trick in Lightroom. I've often had too much light pollution in my images though, that's true.
Yep that's pretty much it. You may want to check the dark site finder to find a convenient dark spot around your place. Most of my sites are in dark yellow zones bordering green.