Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Wall Street
Lens: Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 Camera: Pentax MX 
Posted By: oculus, 05-18-2016, 01:37 AM

Morning rush on Wall Street. It's about half past nine, according to Trinity. Shot on Kodak Tri-X 400 and Pentax MX camera. Sorry about the dust spots/water marks. They are tough to avoid, even with a squeegee after the final bath.

Last edited by oculus; 05-28-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Views: 436
05-18-2016, 04:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... But they add the "film look". Nice shot
05-18-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
... But they add the "film look". Nice shot
Ha! Right...

Thanks.
05-18-2016, 06:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Looks like a photo from the 70's or 80's. For me that's a great plus!

05-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
Looks like a photo from the 70's or 80's. For me that's a great plus!
It's interesting to me to hear various feedback on film. I usually try as much as possible to choose a scene and subject as removed from a specific epoch as possible. This is what, in my view, distinguishes street photography from documentary or photojournalism.

It's also interesting to hear how people respond to black and white photographs. Apparently a subset exists who regard the value of the aesthetic to be primarily "nostalgic" or "like the olden days". For me, it's actually a lot more about light, shadow, contrast, and geometry.

Thanks for your feedback!
05-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm digging this--one of your best, I think, despite the subject pegging the hipster DB meter (The Berniebro's Take Manhattan?) I think FL is key here--both for the OOF areas and spacing of other figures against a "compressed" backdrop...I think your Sony FF/28mm combo is actually a more specialized combination, effective mostly at "In Yo' Face" distances.
05-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
I think your Sony FF/28mm combo is actually a more specialized combination, effective mostly at "In Yo' Face" distances.
I agree, for the most part. More and more I find myself gravitating to the 50/55mm focal length in the city, with the vertical long. There is a sort of folk wisdom abroad which states one must tend to wider focal lengths for street/urban photography. I think that is fine advice and you should always carry a 28 with you; but I use my "normal" lenses much more often and (I think) with greater success in framing.
05-19-2016, 12:59 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful capture here. Black and White Photography always lends a specific dimension. Whereas, color is, well, color. Color is reality, no question, however B&W just provides a feeling that is indescribable. I remember when in the 1960s my uncle was the first in the family to purchase a color console TV. Now I used to watch football games in Black & White, but when I saw what the game looked like in color, I really didn't like it. I mean talk about distractions even in the crowd with different colored clothing and the players also. Black & White just has a certain magic to it, and always will. Thanks again.

Antonio

05-19-2016, 05:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Wonderful capture here. Black and White Photography always lends a specific dimension. Whereas, color is, well, color. Color is reality, no question, however B&W just provides a feeling that is indescribable. I remember when in the 1960s my uncle was the first in the family to purchase a color console TV. Now I used to watch football games in Black & White, but when I saw what the game looked like in color, I really didn't like it. I mean talk about distractions even in the crowd with different colored clothing and the players also. Black & White just has a certain magic to it, and always will. Thanks again.

Antonio
Thanks, Antonio! I am finding that, if I want to shoot black and white I go for film; but if I want to shoot color, I go digital. Even the 42 megapixel raw files from my A7RII converted in SilverEfex Pro, with the "film simulations", cannot create the tones and textures I want. Thanks again.