Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

1 roll of film (36x imgs)
Posted By: frank, 07-14-2008, 01:40 PM

A good forum friend came to town for a short visit over the weekend, we had a long walk around the city. Haven't shot film for a long time, I decided to give my beloved SuperPROGRAM a test run. It's the first time I used manual film camera, what an experience! Shot 3 rolls of expired film (2 fujifilm, 1 kodak), the first two rolls turned out to have weird colors probably due to their ages, the last roll seems to be great, to me at least.

I'm kinda digital guy nowadays, shooting film really took me some shots to get used to. At the beginning I'd look at the camera back after each shot, even tried to look for the replay button Sometimes I forgot to forward the film before taking a shot, and my finger got into some shots when I used a super wide angle 20mm lens Anyway, I'm pretty happy w/ the test run. Here are all the 36 shots from the last roll, all in sequence as they were taken, scanned by the shop where I had the film developed. No process other than resize/some sharpening/sign. I'm sure some cropping and processing might enhance them further, but decide to post them as is. Hope you like some of them.
Views: 4,429
07-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Nice set of shots Frank - I love how you've included all 36 (and impressed by your "keeper" rate).

PS I've looked at the back of a film camera too - it's hard not to do.
Thanks Betsy, glad you like them Actually I wasted quite some shots in the first two rolls. It's only after those that I got some feeling about shooting film, and it's the last roll I brought w/ me on that day, that's why I was abit more careful before I press the shutter button

07-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
A excellent series as film has its merits

cheers
Thanks Robert I think I'm gonna shoot some more film in the future, especially for street photography.
07-15-2008, 01:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Actually I wasted quite some shots in the first two rolls. It's only after those that I got some feeling about shooting film, and it's the last roll I brought w/ me on that day, that's why I was abit more careful before I press the shutter button
There's the rub. I think that's the biggest downfall, that with film one has to be more precise in your vision and execution & with digital it's all shoot, check then delete and reshoot as required.

I love your shots. Street photography at its best!
07-15-2008, 02:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
There's the rub. I think that's the biggest downfall, that with film one has to be more precise in your vision and execution & with digital it's all shoot, check then delete and reshoot as required.

I love your shots. Street photography at its best!
Yeah, it's bad, and good too. I think we've become used to click-review-delete on digital cameras nowadays, don't think much before we take shots. But w/ film, we have to think more before taking a shot, that's probably a good thing.

Thanks btw, glad you like them

07-15-2008, 04:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have three favourites.

#2 has lovely tonality and colour... I suspected right away it was the FA43. I love the framing wishing only the door frame was not cut off at the bottom.

#11 and 18 are great portraits. There are several other nice people shots in this part of the roll.
07-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Really nice work. Every time someone posts their film shots it reminds me that I need to get my Super Program CLA'd and find a decent place to get film developed (this is a problem and I have no intention of ever going back to the tanks or darkroom).

I used to spend a fair amount of time in S'pore. Always meant to shoot the rush hour traffic on road that goes to the causeway to Malaysia. Nobody here would ever believe how many people could ride in a small truck or fit on a motorbike.
07-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Nice set of shots Frank - I love how you've included all 36 (and impressed by your "keeper" rate).

PS I've looked at the back of a film camera too - it's hard not to do.
I agree; they were pretty much all keepers!

Going in the opposite direction.....after shooting film for a little while, when I go back to digital my right thumb whiffs the air in desperate search for a film advance lever that isn't there.

07-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I have three favourites.

#2 has lovely tonality and colour... I suspected right away it was the FA43. I love the framing wishing only the door frame was not cut off at the bottom.

#11 and 18 are great portraits. There are several other nice people shots in this part of the roll.
Thanks Robin. Those are some of my favorites too. Need to practise more w/ film, and hope I'd get some better shots next time
07-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Really nice work. Every time someone posts their film shots it reminds me that I need to get my Super Program CLA'd and find a decent place to get film developed (this is a problem and I have no intention of ever going back to the tanks or darkroom).

I used to spend a fair amount of time in S'pore. Always meant to shoot the rush hour traffic on road that goes to the causeway to Malaysia. Nobody here would ever believe how many people could ride in a small truck or fit on a motorbike.
Thanks Peter. Luckily film development here is still quite popular and inexpensive, but film itself isn't cheap nowadays Still got some expired film to play, hopefully some of them are still usable

As to causeway point, I'd avoid going over there especially during rush hour It's not fun to line up there for hours I guess ...
07-16-2008, 12:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I agree; they were pretty much all keepers!

Going in the opposite direction.....after shooting film for a little while, when I go back to digital my right thumb whiffs the air in desperate search for a film advance lever that isn't there.
Thanks Mike. I wish my finger wasn't in some of those frames taken by the M20/4 lens...
07-16-2008, 06:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photography like yours really reminds me of Darren (just minus the scenery shots)

Your work is really cool. I love the casual feel, candid style documentary with these cultural specific elements in this series of photographs
07-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I really enjoyed this series, thanks for posting them up!
07-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful photos. I love the color and depth. I think I'll go put some film in my Mamiya for the heck of it.
07-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Excellent !!!

What films you used ? I like very much Fuji Reala 100 and Kodak ProFoto 100 .
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Thanks for the fine examples Frank. Quality vs quantity is showing through, makes me think about getting a SLR to play with.