Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K3 II Photo Location: Eastern Washington 
Posted By: JimS_256, 05-19-2016, 12:05 PM

I love photographing ospreys!

Views: 921
05-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm trying to do some bird photography but keep losing them in my viewfinder Very nice shots.
05-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Carpon Quote
I'm trying to do some bird photography but keep losing them in my viewfinder Very nice shots.
Try keeping both eyes open. It takes some practice but once you get the knack it can really help.
05-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

all my shots are looking up at them, how did you get level shots #1 #2 #3 ?

05-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Try keeping both eyes open. It takes some practice but once you get the knack it can really help.
I'm going to try that, thanks.
05-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
=Carpon;3649065]I'm trying to do some bird photography but keep losing them in my viewfinder Very nice shots.
If you are using a zoom, give yourself a sufficient field of view by zooming out (bringing it back) enough. I know what you mean, for example if a bird is approaching closer to me, I may come back to 300 or 200 mm instead of 500 mm to be able keep it in my field of view and get some good shots of it, especially with very fast moving birds.

---------- Post added 05-19-16 at 05:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
If you distance yourself from the subject, the shot may appear more level.

---------- Post added 05-19-16 at 05:06 PM ----------

Nice Osprey shots. I have done the two eyes open thing also.
05-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
This particular nest is located on a hillside, along a highway, on the downhill side. I've found a good vantage point above the road cut on the other side. I'm still below the nest but not much. It's a great setup.

QuoteOriginally posted by Carpon Quote
I'm going to try that, thanks.
Remember this takes some practice so don't give up. I'm just starting to get the hang of it. I use a DA* 300mm with and without the 1.4 TC so zooming to acquire the bird isn't an option.

05-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful series.
05-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jim, those are fabulous shots! How fortunate for you to find them & the nest. You will have more great photos when the babies hatch!

Thanks for sharing!
05-19-2016, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Here are a couple of more from the same location.

Butts in focus...

Incoming...

While Merlin says I live on the border between the osprey's breeding and migration areas you wouldn't know it. Nests are very common anywhere near rivers and lakes. What makes this one special is the great vantage point and easy access.
05-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well done. My first thought was "these are nice and sharp". Then i realized the lens and it wasnt so surprising lol.

Nice job. Clearly youve learned the AF system well
05-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Well done. My first thought was "these are nice and sharp". Then i realized the lens and it wasnt so surprising lol.

Nice job. Clearly youve learned the AF system well
Upgrading from the 55-300 to the DA*300 was one of the best things I've done. It definitely improved my keeper rate as did the upgrade from the K-50 to the K3 II. I still end up with a lot of out of focus shots and even more frustrating are the, otherwise great, captures that are just a little soft. Practice and experience really help and shooting ospreys is a great way to get the experience. Most of these were shot with the AF set to spot, AF-C, back button focusing (with 1/2 press disabled). I try to only bump the focus when I'm centered on the subject.

I still have, and use, the K-50 (now I guess technically my wife's camera) as well as the 55-300. Both can provide really good results if I'm careful.
05-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Upgrading from the 55-300 to the DA*300 was one of the best things I've done. It definitely improved my keeper rate as did the upgrade from the K-50 to the K3 II. I still end up with a lot of out of focus shots and even more frustrating are the, otherwise great, captures that are just a little soft. Practice and experience really help and shooting ospreys is a great way to get the experience. Most of these were shot with the AF set to spot, AF-C, back button focusing (with 1/2 press disabled). I try to only bump the focus when I'm centered on the subject.

I still have, and use, the K-50 (now I guess technically my wife's camera) as well as the 55-300. Both can provide really good results if I'm careful.
Yeah the comparison between the DA 55-300 and DA*300 isn't even close.

Ive been using AF-C select 25 point that way it still starts out focusing on the center point. I try to prefocus somewhat on the center point so that it can grab focus quickly. Ive had pretty good success with this method, but I do have some of the slight misses. Still the keep rate is pretty decent and way beyond what the K-5 was capable of.