Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Do not even think about parking here
Posted By: bobbotron, 05-19-2016, 06:47 PM

Odd valve and sign in Ottawa, then a driver drove up in front of it.

Views: 1,144
05-19-2016, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The driver seems to have a scratched mirror, so I am guessing it's not the first time parking in unusual spots.
05-19-2016, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Odd valve and sign in Ottawa, then a driver drove up in front of it.
The valve reminds me of a person wearing an old style gas mask.

Could it be a hydrant for the fire services? They have no qualms with gaining access through a car in circumstances like this.
05-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like a fire department connection.

Too funny, at first glance I thought it was a dog wearing goggles in the driver's seat

05-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #5
farmerDavid

It does look like an alien looking strait at the camera
You never now in Ottawa.
David
05-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Got a photo of the pipe this morning!

05-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Do not even think about parking here
Must just be an illiterate driver to miss that sign like that or alternatively a huge fine notice, for so doing may well work better.

05-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
The valve reminds me of a person wearing an old style gas mask.

Could it be a hydrant for the fire services? They have no qualms with gaining access through a car in circumstances like this.
Yes, it's a standpipe. That is a dry pipe within the building. Typically, it may be connected to hoses on each floor. If not, there are connections for the fire department to attach their own hoses on each floor. So, the pumper pulls up, connects to the hydrant, connects to the standpipe, then provides large volumes of high pressure water to the firefighters on each floor.

The fire department would either bash out the windows to connect hoses if there were a car parked there (typically large diameter relatively rigid hoses are used there) or they'd just use the truck to push the car out of the way. Either way, a car parked there won't be in good shape if a fire occurs.
05-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Yes, it's a standpipe. That is a dry pipe within the building. Typically, it may be connected to hoses on each floor. If not, there are connections for the fire department to attach their own hoses on each floor. So, the pumper pulls up, connects to the hydrant, connects to the standpipe, then provides large volumes of high pressure water to the firefighters on each floor.

The fire department would either bash out the windows to connect hoses if there were a car parked there (typically large diameter relatively rigid hoses are used there) or they'd just use the truck to push the car out of the way. Either way, a car parked there won't be in good shape if a fire occurs.
I would pay to see that. Or better yet, photograph it!

Thanks for the info, interesting!
05-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great scene in the movie Backdraft with a Beamer or Mercedes and just such a situation with a hydrant. At the end of the scene, the car had enough water in it to go swimming! Curt Russel's comment, before breaking the window to pass the hose through (sarcastically) "Oh, this just breaks my heart!"

Regards,

BD
05-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would pay to see that. Or better yet, photograph it!

Thanks for the info, interesting!
Wonder if this will work:

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+parked+in+front+hydrant+fire&safe=off&cl...&bih=511&dpr=3
05-27-2016, 03:35 AM   #12
farmerDavid

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
That made my morning! You have to scroll down that page. It gets better and better.
David