Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Blast From the Past . . . . . My Past
Photo Location: Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-20-2016, 02:30 PM

A few weeks ago, as I was combing the Mecum auction in Houston for exotics and sports cars, I was stunned when I came across this 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer tri-tone, two-door hardtop: the exact twin of our family car when I was seven years old. The rush of memories this car catalyzed was actually momentarily dislocating. In the '50s, my Dad bought a new car every year, as did many vets on our street, and I looked forward to "show day" every autumn when Dad and I together would examine all of the new Detroit offerings. Lots of wonderful memories.

While it looks pretty stodgy now, this '55 model was one of Virgil Exner's "radical" designs that probably saved the Chrysler Corporation - which was experiencing one of its periodic implosions - from the dustbin; these designs triggered the chrome and fins era of the automotive aesthetic that dominated the rest of the '50s and very early '60s when functionality was subordinated to visual impact.

In any case, it was a delight to see this old car; it gives me a small chill to think that it is remotely (very remotely) possible that the car pictured here is the actual car we owned in 1955.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-20-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Views: 1,163
05-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Man, that was a good looking machine and thanks for the story, what a coincidence. (picture isn't bad neither)
05-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These vehicles have been very well looked after. Envy creators!
05-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Very nice car and nice memories. Wouldn't it be something if it was your dad's old car.

A lot of two tone paint jobs back then, but a triple tone was something else and exceptional. Also, a two door hard top was was not typical in the early to '55 production. This style was just getting going and it looks 'sporty' for that era. The '55 in the pix does remind me a bit of the De Soto, that Jimmy Stewart drives in the Hitchcock movie, Vertigo.

Dodge had available a version of the first generation hemi then, do you recall which engine your '55 Dodge had ?

My dad also used to buy a new car, about every 2 years though. I recall the excitement of the fall, when the new cars would come out and back then they were new...new styles. It was heady stuff for a young boy. He was a Ford man, who became a GM guy.

Les

05-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Man, that was a good looking machine and thanks for the story, what a coincidence. (picture isn't bad neither)
Hey, Heinrich - thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
These vehicles have been very well looked after. Envy creators!
This one looked like new - almost certainly restored. I've no idea if it sold.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice car and nice memories. Wouldn't it be something if it was your dad's old car.

A lot of two tone paint jobs back then, but a triple tone was something else and exceptional. Also, a two door hard top was was not typical in the early to '55 production. This style was just getting going and it looks 'sporty' for that era. The '55 in the pix does remind me a bit of the De Soto, that Jimmy Stewart drives in the Hitchcock movie, Vertigo.

Dodge had available a version of the first generation hemi then, do you recall which engine your '55 Dodge had ?

My dad also used to buy a new car, about every 2 years though. I recall the excitement of the fall, when the new cars would come out and back then they were new...new styles. It was heady stuff for a young boy. He was a Ford man, who became a GM guy.

Les
Thanks for looking and comments, Les - as always. Yeah, I always enjoyed show days in the fall - back then, dealers made a big deal of it every year. It was almost a social rite!

Jer
05-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good shot, Jer. Any chance to find out if this is your family car? Man, that would be sweet!
05-23-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Good shot, Jer. Any chance to find out if this is your family car? Man, that would be sweet!
Thanks, Norbert. Unfortunately, the owner was not around when I came across this car, so there was no way to learn about its history. GM and Ford greatly outsold Chrysler in the '50s, but Chrysler still built a lot of Plymouths and Dodges, so it's doubtful I would be reunited with Dad's '55. Still, it's barely possible and - as you say - the thought that it might be our old car is sweet.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-23-2016 at 06:58 AM.