Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Wild Tasmania
Camera: Ricoh GR Photo Location: Tasmania 
Posted By: nickthetasmaniac, 05-25-2016, 12:37 AM

A few from my last trip of the season. All taken on the Overland Track in Tasmania.

Fern detail

Ancient Pencil Pines (Athrotaxis cupressoides) and an alpine tarn - Pencil Pines can grow to 1500yrs

Yellow Gums (E. subcrenulata) and emergent cool temperate rainforest

Sub-alpine woodland

Dwarf Myrtle Beech (Nothofagus cunninghamii)

Cracks in dolerite

Pine Forest Moor

King Billy Pine (Athrotaxis selaginoides)

Last edited by nickthetasmaniac; 05-25-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Views: 1,561
05-25-2016, 01:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An awesome series to say the least. Very interesting and nicely done.

Thanks,

Antonio
05-25-2016, 03:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great series! The shot of the pencil pines is my favorite--a really unique environment for this (North) American. I do remain fascinated by Australasia's gum forests, though--a great subject to explore with a camera, no doubt.
05-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Great series! The shot of the pencil pines is my favorite--a really unique environment for this (North) American. I do remain fascinated by Australasia's gum forests, though--a great subject to explore with a camera, no doubt.
The Athrotaxis family (Pencil Pine and King Billy Pine) are actually distantly related to the North America Sequoias

Eucalyptus forests are great to photograph! Phenomenal diversity, with species growing everywhere from Tasmanian mountains tops to desert to the northern tropics. The Yellow Gums in the wet are one of my favourites

05-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting series. I enjoyed them all especially the fern and the misty forests.
05-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
The Yellow Gums in the wet

Ha, you probably get a lot of practice there in the Roaring 40's. At any rate, thanks for a glimpse of that part of the world.
05-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Tasmania is on my bucket list of places to go before I die...

Love the series. Well composed.

05-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ha, you probably get a lot of practice there in the Roaring 40's...
We should do but sadly not so much this season. This was one of the first genuinely wet trips since October, and this area is suppose to rain about 260 days a year. It's weird to see it so parched...
05-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do remain fascinated by Australasia's gum forests, though--a great subject to explore with a camera, no doubt.
But above all, the eucalyptus scent in the damp air coming off the Gum trees is an experience in itself.
Unfortunately smokers are not aware of it.

Another thing you will notice in the Australian Rain Forests, they are not quite places instead there is an abundance of bird calls which echo from all directions but you will find it hard to see them.

Did I mention they are nice images ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Tasmania is on my bucket list of places to go before I die...
Important:
Do it before you sit in a wheel chair as a majority of wilderness outings are not wheelchair friendly.
05-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Another thing you will notice in the Australian Rain Forests, they are not quite places instead there is an abundance of bird calls which echo from all directions but you will find it hard to see them.
Not so much in cool temp rainforest (as opposed to the tropical stuff up north). Wet Sclerophyll (eucalyptus canopy with mixed rainforest species in the understory) forest tends to have a lot of bird activity due to the abundance of flowers and seeds, but genuine cool temperate rainforest usually have comparatively little birdlife.

Except when the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos go through tearing apart deadwood to look for grubs. Then it sounds like a school yard at the start of recess

As an aside, this is what we found near the above photos of King Billy Pines...

05-26-2016, 12:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nick, a great series, thanks for posting.
There is a thread for Oz images; it's quite old but has just been rejuvenated.
You ought to post some of your Tassie stuff there (Tassie is part of Oz, isn't it?)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/66...australia.html

I've only been over the once Oct/Nov 2014.
Someone had moved Cradle Mountain - there was no sign of it at all. You could have surfed on Dove Lake!
05-26-2016, 02:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Nick, a great series, thanks for posting.
There is a thread for Oz images; it's quite old but has just been rejuvenated.
You ought to post some of your Tassie stuff there (Tassie is part of Oz, isn't it?)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/66...australia.html

I've only been over the once Oct/Nov 2014.
Someone had moved Cradle Mountain - there was no sign of it at all. You could have surfed on Dove Lake!
I'll check it out, thanks.

I'm a guide on the Overland Track, so we go past Cradle (within 100m say) at the start of every trip. Last season you couldn't even tell there was a mountain there for my first half dozen trips It's beautiful up there when the weather's coming in though...

And yes, Tassie and the 'mainland' are both part of Oz
05-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I'm a guide on the Overland Track

That's wonderful--if you're browsing PF, be on the look-out for member "Mole," who is a naturalist/park ranger here in the Southern Highlands of Tennessee. I'd love to hike with either of you, but not before loading you up each with a 645Z and a three-lens kit to slow you down--no doubt y'all have gears I don't!
05-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's wonderful--if you're browsing PF, be on the look-out for member "Mole," who is a naturalist/park ranger here in the Southern Highlands of Tennessee. I'd love to hike with either of you, but not before loading you up each with a 645Z and a three-lens kit to slow you down--no doubt y'all have gears I don't!
As long as I get to play with the 645Z
05-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks so much for posting these! I went to Tasmania in 2007, very fond memories. I miss the eucalyptus trees.