Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Wild Tasmania
Camera: Ricoh GR Photo Location: Tasmania 
Posted By: nickthetasmaniac, 05-25-2016, 12:37 AM

A few from my last trip of the season. All taken on the Overland Track in Tasmania.

Fern detail



Ancient Pencil Pines (Athrotaxis cupressoides) and an alpine tarn - Pencil Pines can grow to 1500yrs



Yellow Gums (E. subcrenulata) and emergent cool temperate rainforest



Sub-alpine woodland



Dwarf Myrtle Beech (Nothofagus cunninghamii)



Cracks in dolerite



Pine Forest Moor



King Billy Pine (Athrotaxis selaginoides)



Last edited by nickthetasmaniac; 05-25-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Views: 920
05-25-2016, 01:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,703
An awesome series to say the least. Very interesting and nicely done.

Thanks,

Antonio
05-25-2016, 03:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,395
Great series! The shot of the pencil pines is my favorite--a really unique environment for this (North) American. I do remain fascinated by Australasia's gum forests, though--a great subject to explore with a camera, no doubt.
05-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,444
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Great series! The shot of the pencil pines is my favorite--a really unique environment for this (North) American. I do remain fascinated by Australasia's gum forests, though--a great subject to explore with a camera, no doubt.
The Athrotaxis family (Pencil Pine and King Billy Pine) are actually distantly related to the North America Sequoias

Eucalyptus forests are great to photograph! Phenomenal diversity, with species growing everywhere from Tasmanian mountains tops to desert to the northern tropics. The Yellow Gums in the wet are one of my favourites

05-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,848
Interesting series. I enjoyed them all especially the fern and the misty forests.
05-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,395
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
The Yellow Gums in the wet

Ha, you probably get a lot of practice there in the Roaring 40's. At any rate, thanks for a glimpse of that part of the world.
05-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 714
Tasmania is on my bucket list of places to go before I die...

Love the series. Well composed.
05-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,444
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Ha, you probably get a lot of practice there in the Roaring 40's...
We should do but sadly not so much this season. This was one of the first genuinely wet trips since October, and this area is suppose to rain about 260 days a year. It's weird to see it so parched...

05-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,379
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
I do remain fascinated by Australasia's gum forests, though--a great subject to explore with a camera, no doubt.
But above all, the eucalyptus scent in the damp air coming off the Gum trees is an experience in itself.
Unfortunately smokers are not aware of it.

Another thing you will notice in the Australian Rain Forests, they are not quite places instead there is an abundance of bird calls which echo from all directions but you will find it hard to see them.

Did I mention they are nice images ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Tasmania is on my bucket list of places to go before I die...
Important:
Do it before you sit in a wheel chair as a majority of wilderness outings are not wheelchair friendly.
05-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,444
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Another thing you will notice in the Australian Rain Forests, they are not quite places instead there is an abundance of bird calls which echo from all directions but you will find it hard to see them.
Not so much in cool temp rainforest (as opposed to the tropical stuff up north). Wet Sclerophyll (eucalyptus canopy with mixed rainforest species in the understory) forest tends to have a lot of bird activity due to the abundance of flowers and seeds, but genuine cool temperate rainforest usually have comparatively little birdlife.

Except when the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos go through tearing apart deadwood to look for grubs. Then it sounds like a school yard at the start of recess

As an aside, this is what we found near the above photos of King Billy Pines...


05-26-2016, 12:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,460
Nick, a great series, thanks for posting.
There is a thread for Oz images; it's quite old but has just been rejuvenated.
You ought to post some of your Tassie stuff there (Tassie is part of Oz, isn't it?)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/66...australia.html


I've only been over the once Oct/Nov 2014.
Someone had moved Cradle Mountain - there was no sign of it at all. You could have surfed on Dove Lake!
05-26-2016, 02:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,444
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Nick, a great series, thanks for posting.
There is a thread for Oz images; it's quite old but has just been rejuvenated.
You ought to post some of your Tassie stuff there (Tassie is part of Oz, isn't it?)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/66...australia.html


I've only been over the once Oct/Nov 2014.
Someone had moved Cradle Mountain - there was no sign of it at all. You could have surfed on Dove Lake!
I'll check it out, thanks.

I'm a guide on the Overland Track, so we go past Cradle (within 100m say) at the start of every trip. Last season you couldn't even tell there was a mountain there for my first half dozen trips It's beautiful up there when the weather's coming in though...

And yes, Tassie and the 'mainland' are both part of Oz
05-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,395
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I'm a guide on the Overland Track

That's wonderful--if you're browsing PF, be on the look-out for member "Mole," who is a naturalist/park ranger here in the Southern Highlands of Tennessee. I'd love to hike with either of you, but not before loading you up each with a 645Z and a three-lens kit to slow you down--no doubt y'all have gears I don't!
05-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,444
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That's wonderful--if you're browsing PF, be on the look-out for member "Mole," who is a naturalist/park ranger here in the Southern Highlands of Tennessee. I'd love to hike with either of you, but not before loading you up each with a 645Z and a three-lens kit to slow you down--no doubt y'all have gears I don't!
As long as I get to play with the 645Z
05-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,413
Thanks so much for posting these! I went to Tasmania in 2007, very fond memories. I miss the eucalyptus trees.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, clark, flickr, nick, pencil, photo, pine, pines, tasmania
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Ulverstone Beach, Tasmania sarahswyer Photo Critique 3 09-25-2015 05:57 PM
Hello from Tasmania Dino Matelli Welcomes and Introductions 6 01-27-2015 09:44 PM
Hi from Tasmania, Australia mera84 Welcomes and Introductions 7 10-26-2014 02:15 AM
Nature Wild Dandelions in the Wild Winds CrankyElbow Post Your Photos! 2 08-01-2014 06:49 PM
Macro Wild Flowers Gone Wild! WillH Post Your Photos! 9 10-11-2012 09:31 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top