Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May
Lens: K20/4 + Canon 500D Camera: K5 Photo Location: Hastie Natural Area, Knoxville ISO: 80 
Posted By: CreationBear, 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM

I've been intrigued by "environmental" macro shots lately, so the Queen Anne's Lace on this morning's walk seemed likely subjects for an experiment. Not owning a Zeiss 25mm, I used a Canon close-up lens to decrease the MFD of my K20/4--still working the kinks out of DOF, but the combo seems to do in a pinch.

Views: 539
05-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
darling buds of May
Now that was a young bonnie Catherine Zeta Jones...
05-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
bonnie Catherine Zeta Jones

Ah, yes: and my wife asked me why I was crying at the end of RED II.

"For all flesh is as grass," the prophet says, "and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away." Sic transit.

05-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very interesting results with this lens combination - illustrates the feel of wind on the Queen Anne's lace quite well!

05-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
this lens combination

Ha, just taking a page out of your book--looking forward to the trillium by the streambed next Spring.
05-31-2016, 03:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Sterling composition, CB. I am a sucker for wide angle macros, and this is well done. The only unsolicited criticism I can conjure is that, on my monitor at least the temp seems slightly warm. This of course can be a matter of taste. I am forever tinkering with WB sliders, frustrā.
05-31-2016, 05:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very Nice!
05-31-2016, 06:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oculus Quote
wide angle macros

Thanks for the comments, guys.

As for the FOV/DOF issue, it always seemed to me that when done well (see "Mole," above) you're getting a bit of narrative oomph that the current, focus-stacked/creamsicle bokeh approach lacks. (And since I currently lack the skills to a proper focus-stack, if I didn't make a virtue out of necessity, then I would have no virtues at all...)

Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm pretty lackadaisical when it comes to WB, and usually just take what the lens(es) serve up, although should you have occasion to take a tour of St. Flannery's Christ-haunted South, with its red clay substrate and verdant vegetation, you might find your definitions of "natural" color being stretched in ways the old sadist would approve.