Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

This Crop Work??
Posted By: rmtagg, 07-15-2008, 07:04 PM

More shooting experiments. I know his eyes are too soft. So am learning, focus on the eyes but wondering what the thoughts are on the crop??

Views: 3,449
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Gary, I really appreciate your sense of humor. Too dang funny.
Thanks Wayne, I've learnt in my life is that the best way to deal with shit is to laugh. I've been in a lot of pain this week so the humour has been flowing. Bonus is that others might get to smile as well and to me, that's worth some of the pain.
Gary

07-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If you'd like to know how I occasionally make the background black in the camera give me a PM Rosemary
I'll share my trick with you, I just don't want everyone to know and start coping my technique

I could also do a little photoshop for you if you'd like the background to be black.
But I won't touch it until I'm home on Friday. I prefer using my home computer over my laptop for such things.
PM sent

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Yes Rosemary I am enjoying it even though I have a pinched nerve in my back. I needed the break.
Re the portrait, do you or the guy have any friends with kids that you can borrow? Dave with some smiling kids and smiling himself will totally change peoples views of him. Alternatively, have him pose holding a Chihuahua, those tiny dogs are the best chick magnets in the world. I have personal experience of the phenomenon.

In the meantime, how about this crop?
All good ideas, but I am not so sure about that crop, lol wish they had those rolling on the floor smileys! I would be using one right now!
On the other hand I am so sorry you are in pain. Hope that clears up soon, in the mean time am enjoying the humor. Feel free to keep using it even after the pain is gone and I hope it is gone fast!

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Gary, you crack me up! I about ruined my keyboard with coffee....
He is pretty funny, def a different POV
07-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
PM sent

All good ideas, but I am not so sure about that crop, lol wish they had those rolling on the floor smileys! I would be using one right now!
On the other hand I am so sorry you are in pain. Hope that clears up soon, in the mean time am enjoying the humor. Feel free to keep using it even after the pain is gone and I hope it is gone fast!

He is pretty funny, def a different POV
Thanks Rosemary.
07-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gary, I really appreciate your sense of humor. Too dang funny.

With seeing the original and the explanation I think I see where your aiming. It seems as if your very close. I'm still wondering where the noise is coming from. It is even more apparent on the tank top in the original. Since you shot at ISO 100 it seems out of place unless it was added and intended, but given you reason for the picture i'd guess your not intending to make him look more gritty/tough. The only other thing that I'd see was the background which can be fixed.

Keep up the fine work, Rosemary. I'm learning just being on the sidelines.
well I originally had no idea what he would be using the pics for and I am using them for my port. So I wanted urban, something very different from my pretty flowers I think I ove played with the pic and will have to go back to it a little later today. will post another pic after seeing if I can do a better job on it. thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like it like that.

Most traditional photographers preferred the whole body shot which is harder to rationise in terms of composition.
I understand. I am trying to break free of some traditional ideas and push myself out of the box. So some of it will work and some of it won't, lol. So I won't know unitl I toss it out there and get some feedback like yours thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I'd guess that the bright background caused the shot to be under exposed, and correcting the exposure in post brought out noise in the shadows. Either spot metering on the subject's face, or a +EV bias would have saved the original exposure, and kept the noise demons at bay.

He does look a bit intimidating (I'm qualified to state this, as I never look intimidating). A smile would probably help. I'd suggest you follow him around and try to get semi-candid shots - puppies and children aren't a bad idea . You can always try the relaxing pose of Uncle Rico. It will only attract fans of Napoleon Dynamite, but it's a start.
Ah, see I am still learning thank you. Hm, getting him to simle is so hard! And he has a great one too. He just goes around with this hard look all the time, hard to break him out of it. LOL, uncle Rico, too funny. I do like the idea of puppies in the shot with him lol

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
From a tall guy who people tended to think was not friendly:

Tell him to try smiling and stop folding his arms across his chest. If the body language says unfriendly, people will get the message. Friendly welcoming body langauge goes a long way towards making a first impression. Tall isn't the issue, especially it's about appearing attractive. Tall is generally a plus there rather than a minus over a reasonable sample size.

As for the crop, it's ok compositionally, but too severe for the source material. I don't know if you used noise reduction on it, but it has that muddied too much noise reduction look, which isn't obvious in the full image.
I played with the photo too much I think since I am just learning PS. So back to the original and a repost later today. I know, normally height is a bonus but not with is expression! lol I am thinking possibly an nother shoot might be in the future but he thinks he takes terrible photos so I have to come up with something good here.

This is the best so far but trying to get him another pic out fo the shoot

07-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rosemary.
It has to be terrible to be in pain on vacation in such a beautiful place too!
07-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #21
Damn Brit

It has to be terrible to be in pain on vacation in such a beautiful place too!
As Eric Idle sings in "Monty Python's Life of Brian";
"Always look on the bright side of life....
da do, da do, da do da do da do"

At least I get to use a wheelchair at the airport and skip the lines at security.

Have you tried shooting Dave from the other side, everyone has a better side.?
Gary
07-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As Eric Idle sings in "Monty Python's Life of Brian";
"Always look on the bright side of life....
da do, da do, da do da do da do"

At least I get to use a wheelchair at the airport and skip the lines at security.

Have you tried shooting Dave from the other side, everyone has a better side.?
Gary
well you have an attitude like I do about things I think it def helps.

Hm, would that be back too??? LOL. No seriously he is a huge teddy bear really and seems like a nice guy. I have to get him some nice pics

07-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #23
Damn Brit

well you have an attitude like I do about things I think it def helps.

Hm, would that be back too??? LOL. No seriously he is a huge teddy bear really and seems like a nice guy. I have to get him some nice pics
No..........I meant the other profile silly.

I really meant it about the Chihuahua.
07-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No..........I meant the other profile silly.

I really meant it about the Chihuahua.
LOL! Now to find a chihuahua!
heres the guy who thought we were doing a model agency shoot and refued to believe other wise. So I shot him! LOL
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, getting through more Dave pics
07-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
Damn Brit

That one works Rosemary, he's got a great smile.
07-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That one works Rosemary, he's got a great smile.
He does have a great smile I hope to find more nice pics of him like this from the shoot
07-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I like this one and the last one posted. Very well done. Your gettin pretty good at this picture takin thang.
07-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like this one and the last one posted. Very well done. Your gettin pretty good at this picture takin thang.
LOL, Ya think? LOL And all in under a year! Anyway funniness aside I think I am getting a bit better. So my 1 year shooting anniversary is Aug 25th Not too far away now which means i need to shoot something really special or spectacular soon!
07-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #30

Holy cow! What's his phone number? J/K. Must husband wouldn't let me keep him for a pet anyway.