Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
At Niagara Falls everyone is a photographer.
Lens: DA*200 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Niagara Falls, Canada 
Posted By: normhead, 06-03-2016, 02:55 PM

I was hanging around the falls, today, lots of phones and point and shoots, and even a few DSLRs.

K-3 and DA*200

DSLR selfie

Views: 1,939
06-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like Canon wins the popularity contest with 6, Nikon coming in second with 2, and Olympus and Sony tied in third with 1.
06-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some saw themselves more interesting than the Falls too I see...................
06-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how effective the pop-up flash was at filling in the falls for two of the photographers? (I can understand the selfie-ists using the pop-up flash)

06-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Looks like Canon wins the popularity contest with 6, Nikon coming in second with 2, and Olympus and Sony tied in third with 1.
Welcome back, where's the pictures?

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Some saw themselves more interesting than the Falls too I see...................
Some people are more interested in themselves than just about anything. The most important thing about the falls was, they were there.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I wonder how effective the pop-up flash was at filling in the falls for two of the photographers? (I can understand the selfie-ists using the pop-up flash)
I wondered that myself. The nice thing about the 200 is, i'm too far away to ask.
06-03-2016, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Welcome back, where's the pictures?
Here's one from England

I'll set about getting the actual photos sorted before posting any, as I have close to 2000.
06-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Here's one from England

I'll set about getting the actual photos sorted before posting any, as I have close to 2000.
Just 2K? I can process that in about an hour. You have to stream line your workflow.

---------- Post added 06-03-16 at 07:23 PM ----------

Here's a couple more to ad to your totals bert.

06-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just 2K? I can process that in about an hour. You have to stream line your workflow.
Ok Norm, we all know how wonderful you are...

Here's a couple more to ad to your totals bert.
Nikon and maybe a Sony?

Putting it Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus.
06-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think there might be a few more, but they were just people's heads with a little bit of camera showing, I doubt they'd help you.
06-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The lassie in image seven, now we've all seen her before somewhere... now where was that?
06-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, I just have to say something about some photographers. It drives me straight up the wall when I see a photographer with High-End Equipment, or even low-end equipment and they do not use a neck strap. What is even more enraging is a photographer who has a neck strap on the camera, but doesn't place it over the neck. I have seen it time and time again, when cameras have slipped out of someone's grip and go down in flames to the concrete. That issue of using a neck strap was the first caution I was taught when starting out in photography.

Grrrrrrrr! and HumBug. HumBug I tell you.

Antonio
06-05-2016, 06:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Of course, I just have to say something about some photographers. It drives me straight up the wall when I see a photographer with High-End Equipment, or even low-end equipment and they do not use a neck strap. What is even more enraging is a photographer who has a neck strap on the camera, but doesn't place it over the neck. I have seen it time and time again, when cameras have slipped out of someone's grip and go down in flames to the concrete. That issue of using a neck strap was the first caution I was taught when starting out in photography.

Antonio
As a photography teacher we used to give assignments that could be done in the school' atrium or around the grounds. The my co-teacher and I would check every camera on the way out the door, then patrol the grounds looking for reprobates who had removed their neck straps. We also patrolled the class room looking for straps left overhanging desks. Camera care was definitely part of the course. For the first couple of week of shooting, we were out teaching camera care in the field than we were in the class room, and both of us gave up our preparation time to help the other guy with his classes in random checks in the field. It also got drilled into their little heads that field work was not time to socialize with you buddies. If you had a camera, you better be working on an assignment. If you got sitting over a coffee having a coffee, all the sudden you were getting more studio assignments and fewer field assignments.
06-05-2016, 06:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was hanging around the falls, today, lots of phones and point and shoots, and even a few DSLRs.

K-3 and DA*200

DSLR selfie

those popup flashes sure are useful!

M
06-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
those popup flashes sure are useful!

M
Some people just don't realize how important it is to get some fill light in the shadows when taking pictures of the falls. :roll eyes:

But my guess is most of these people were taking pictures of other people. There were some pretty brutal shadows on the faces when I was shooting. My shadows control is turned up at least half way on most of these, and the levels counterpoint has been moved to the left.
06-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

Antonio
I choose the wrist strap and belt clip combo. I'm a neck strap hater, but I am a firm believer in there always being some level of carrying redundancy.

Last edited by geomez; 06-08-2016 at 02:10 PM.