Posted By: davebris33, 07-15-2008, 09:43 PM

just did this the other day,

comments please!!

Attached Images

Views: 1,260
07-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting shot. Personally, I would crop the sky a lilttle but that's me. JIMBO
07-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like this shot... My only criticism is that there's too much going on in it and my eye jumps around a lot. As a landscape, showing the sky and the structures, I'd say ditch the tower on the left and show off the stacks on the right, but then there that bird (kite being flown by little boy right?) and then there's these patches of grass in the foreground which make me feel like my screen is dirty... A lot to it.

The sky is awesome. And your processing really works for the sky and landscape. I get the sense that I might enjoy the photo more if it were blown up big and hung on a wall. Then I might be able to take it all in.
07-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
Damn Brit

I like it. I would crop on the right so that there is no space between the buildings and the edge.
Gary

07-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree that this is a nice shot. I like the B&W conversion as well. About the cropping, I did a couple of quick whack jobs on it just for fun. I hope you don't mind...

In this one I cloned out the tower and cut some off the bottom

Here I cut it nearly in half and cloned out the bush
07-16-2008, 03:51 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Nice whacking Alan.
07-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #7

Original Poster
I like it for the same reasons you find it 'busy' cos it is a really busy picture, reminds me of a victorian oil painting, and on my big monitor it does look really cool if viewed from a distance...thanks for the comments, especially on the sky

dave

07-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
hi, i like the first crop an awful lot, and dont mind you 'hacking' at all...although i did choose a square format because it gives the picture an odd symmetry and balance, the first layer of clouds on the top, the second discreet layer in the middle and the ground give the thirds and from left to right tower/kite...boy....power station do the thirds that way round...I do see thats a really strange compositon and busy tho, but after doing a crop much like your first one, and living with it for a few days, the square won out in the end

but you are right maxwell, the letterbox crop is fundementally 'the right one' and i'll do a print of both

thanks for taking the time as well
dave
07-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Brilliant shot, Dave.

Maxwell, I noticed the cloning from the tower even before I saw the original image (I started scrolling down as the page loaded and didn't realise I was halfway down by the time I finished...)
07-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

A bit more contrast?
07-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
I like it for the same reasons you find it 'busy' cos it is a really busy picture, reminds me of a victorian oil painting, and on my big monitor it does look really cool if viewed from a distance...thanks for the comments, especially on the sky

dave
For some reason I can't see the original right now, but it is another argument for posting images as big as they need to be, rather than adhering to some sort of low bandwidth standard. I'd like to see it big.