Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Some creatures are so damn intelligent.
Posted By: Damn Brit, 07-15-2008, 11:57 PM

Near to where we are staying on Oahu is a saltwater marsh nature preserve. I took some stale bread down to feed the fish (it's not ok to feed the birds). I didn't count on the intelligence of one of the birds so I did end up feeding a bird...........sort of:

I sat on the river bank and threw some bread into the middle of the body of water and the surface boiled with fish trying to get at the bread. Did you ever see that movie 'Piranha'?

Next I threw some bread close to the bank, just below my feet, for the smaller fish. As soon as I did so, a Black Crowned Night Heron, the largest species in the preserve, flew down and snatched the piece of bread.

But he didn't eat it, no more than four or five feet in front of me, this heron was waggling the piece of bread on the surface as a lure.

The fish came to get it and the heron got the fish. This was no coincidence, I tried it a couple more times and he did it. I even moved along the bank and he did it again.

Stu helped me with some PP, there was a big piece of trash on the bank just a few inches from the action and I do not yet have the skills to remove something that big.
Apart from that, not much has been done to them. These shots were taken at about 2 pm in bright sunshine.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-29-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Views: 4,618
07-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great story, DB... smart bird indeed and a fantastic save from Stu. I didn't even notice any PP till I got to your second post. You 2 make a team

Gotta love the surfing turtle too.

And Mel +1 for the tattoo shot

07-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

A well done series Gary clear and crisp

cheers
07-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #18

Great captures^^ Sometime nature surprises us in its own way^^
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Tom.

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Great story, DB... smart bird indeed and a fantastic save from Stu. I didn't even notice any PP till I got to your second post. You 2 make a team

Gotta love the surfing turtle too.

And Mel +1 for the tattoo shot
Thanks. I will definitely post a shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
A well done series Gary clear and crisp

cheers
Thanks mate.

QuoteOriginally posted by zeek10d Quote
Great captures^^ Sometime nature surprises us in its own way^^
It sure does surprise us doesn't it?
Gary

08-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series Gary! Even though the head shot is partially obscured by that leaf, it adds to the personality of the capture. I do like that shot!

Regards,
Marc
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #21
Damn Brit

Thank you Marc.
Gary
08-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Nice and clear Gary well done or should I so when the 300 f/4 coming if not already

cheers

08-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Nice and clear Gary well done or should I so when the 300 f/4 coming if not already

cheers
Have you been hitting the sauce mate?
You posted pretty much the same thing on this thread already.
Gary
08-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing these great photos! What a catch!
08-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Miised this one - natural fishermen well done !
08-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Intelligent Creatures

My wife saw a feature yesterday on a small New England harbor town that has a 7-11 type bodega near the pier.

Every morning, when the proprietor opens the store, a seagull lands on the rubber mat that controls the self-openting door.

When the door opens, the seagull walks in, turns the corner and grabs a large bag of chips from the bottom shelf of the rack (same kind every time).

The seagull then retraces his steps - except that he walks onto the rubber mat for the exit door.

When the door opens he calmly walks out the door and flies down to the pier, where he and his cronies rip open the bag and eat the chips.

The twonspeople love their thieving seagull, and whoever is in the store during his heist will "add a bag of chips" to whatever they were buying.

Now that is smart!
08-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

What a great story and the PP work took the picture to a whole new level Gary. Was that the stamping tool he used? There is so much to learn on Photo Shop... Have a great time and shot a picture over of you new Tatoo! Cheers JIMBO
08-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. These are sharp! Can you tell us more about the shots--lens, speed, f stop, ISO, anything to help us "new guys" to SLR digital
08-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #29
Damn Brit

Haven't replied sooner because our phone lines have been down for three days and the dsl with it.
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Thanks for sharing these great photos! What a catch!
Thanks Georg

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Miised this one - natural fishermen well done !
Thanks Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife saw a feature yesterday on a small New England harbor town that has a 7-11 type bodega near the pier.

Every morning, when the proprietor opens the store, a seagull lands on the rubber mat that controls the self-openting door.

When the door opens, the seagull walks in, turns the corner and grabs a large bag of chips from the bottom shelf of the rack (same kind every time).

The seagull then retraces his steps - except that he walks onto the rubber mat for the exit door.

When the door opens he calmly walks out the door and flies down to the pier, where he and his cronies rip open the bag and eat the chips.

The twonspeople love their thieving seagull, and whoever is in the store during his heist will "add a bag of chips" to whatever they were buying.

Now that is smart!
Saw something similar a while back, this was in England I think and it was a cat.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
What a great story and the PP work took the picture to a whole new level Gary. Was that the stamping tool he used? There is so much to learn on Photo Shop... Have a great time and shot a picture over of you new Tatoo! Cheers JIMBO
Thanks Jimbo, Stu probably used a repair tool.

QuoteOriginally posted by tmacdon Quote
Wow. These are sharp! Can you tell us more about the shots--lens, speed, f stop, ISO, anything to help us "new guys" to SLR digital
Sigma 28-300 full extent and not so full extent. ISO 100 (middle of a bright day). F6.3 ish.

Neither myself or the camera and lens can take all the credit. The heron was quite happy to be five or six feet away from me (I was his fishing buddy I guess). He was also below me so that helped a bit with the sun and it meant, laterally, he was even closer than five feet.
With animals you just have to take time with them, gradually get closer and take your shots when they are ready (you just better make sure you are ready too). I was sitting there for about forty minutes and as the birds got more relaxed, more got closer. And I don't think any bird ate a piece of bread.
Gary
08-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary

Story is great and so are the pictures.

What has me thinking is why does this not work with squirrels, peanuts and hawks

There has to be a way.......