Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Some creatures are so damn intelligent.
Posted By: Damn Brit, 07-15-2008, 11:57 PM

Near to where we are staying on Oahu is a saltwater marsh nature preserve. I took some stale bread down to feed the fish (it's not ok to feed the birds). I didn't count on the intelligence of one of the birds so I did end up feeding a bird...........sort of:

I sat on the river bank and threw some bread into the middle of the body of water and the surface boiled with fish trying to get at the bread. Did you ever see that movie 'Piranha'?

Next I threw some bread close to the bank, just below my feet, for the smaller fish. As soon as I did so, a Black Crowned Night Heron, the largest species in the preserve, flew down and snatched the piece of bread.

But he didn't eat it, no more than four or five feet in front of me, this heron was waggling the piece of bread on the surface as a lure.

The fish came to get it and the heron got the fish. This was no coincidence, I tried it a couple more times and he did it. I even moved along the bank and he did it again.

Stu helped me with some PP, there was a big piece of trash on the bank just a few inches from the action and I do not yet have the skills to remove something that big.
Apart from that, not much has been done to them. These shots were taken at about 2 pm in bright sunshine.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-29-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Views: 4,617
08-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was going to ask what lens you used to get these great shots but you already answered The series is great and wonderful detail as well as neat story enjoyed seeing the pics

08-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #32
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Gary

Story is great and so are the pictures.

What has me thinking is why does this not work with squirrels, peanuts and hawks

There has to be a way.......
Look at the big picture Lowell, oak trees need squirrels.

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
I was going to ask what lens you used to get these great shots but you already answered The series is great and wonderful detail as well as neat story enjoyed seeing the pics
Thanks Rosemary
08-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Look at the big picture Lowell, oak trees need squirrels.
True, But they have already donated an oak tree to my yard, and besides, the tree will spread enough acorns all on it's own. I have only seen 2 squirrels fall to hawks in my neighbourhood in the last 3 years., and it is clearly not due to the lack of squirrels
08-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ha Ha its so good Ive forgotten that I posted already LOL

cheers