Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
A few Butterflies (& one moth)
Lens: DA 21, FA 100 macro, Adaptall 90 (plus 2X TC) Camera: K 5 Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 06-04-2016, 09:31 PM

It's been a fine spring for chasing lepidopterans, and helping park visitors to enjoy the chase! Here are a few we've spotted lately…

First the one that's not a butterfly. We spotted this freshly-emerged Luna Moth on a cold windy day up at Holston Mountain. Was too cold to fly, so it was easy for us to get close and enjoy some moth-watching! These photos are an experiment - with and without polarizer. Curious to know which you prefer.

This Meadow Fritillary was out in the meadow over at Hampton Creek Cove, and was kind enough to pose for all the hikers.

Great Spangled Fritillaries have been emerging in good numbers. We got a nice look at this one near the home park's lake shore, as it was enjoying the "delicious minerals" in some heron droppings!

Here's another butterfly that favors droppings and such. This Northern Pearly Eye was on a horse trail at Big South Fork. You can guess what he was licking off the trail.

This Red Admiral also prefers droppings and decay to wildflowers. Here's he's "catching some rays" on the jewelweed plants.

Satyrs are tiny butterflies. They fly low and slow, but they rarely stop. Here's a Little Wood Satyr in its rare "pause" mode!

Pearl Crescents are another common small butterfly of the late spring and summertime. Here's one perched on a horsetail plant, and another rather faded one enjoying some ragwort nectar.

Will end with a rather old and tattered American Lady butterfly. She's enjoying some wild mustard nectar, and I hope you enjoyed these lepidopterans. Thanks for any comments & critique!

Views: 1,230
06-05-2016, 03:14 AM   #2
Forum Member

Absolutely lovely. I'm as green with envy as that splendid moth!
06-05-2016, 03:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A wide and varied array of the flying beauties, well done.
06-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

A set of great shots, the first three images show natures ninja technique just perfectly.

06-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Great sets--those dragon/damselfly shots, especially, must have take a lot of patience. Otherwise, it's surprising to me, but I prefer the second, non-CPL shot of the Luna moth here--you don't lose anything in terms of color saturation, and water drops on the may apple add a little sparkle.

FWIW, here's a Luna I found down in our local urban wilderness a few month's back--missed the DOF a bit with the antennae (Saturniiadea are such little chunks.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101405209@N02/26393562385/in/dateposted-public/
06-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A wonderful series. Enjoyed them all.
06-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice series! I like the second photo of the moth--it seems to have a little more contrast/punch...it was this with our without polarizer? Loved the final photo of the tattered American Lady.
06-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series of butterfly shots!

06-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots! I know from experience that's it's not easy to get shots like that. Well done.
06-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bamtax Quote
Absolutely lovely. I'm as green with envy as that splendid moth!
Thanks for your kind words! Luna was actually the easiest shot of the bunch - was too cold for flight (wing muscles need to reach "operating temperature").

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A wide and varied array of the flying beauties, well done.
Glad you enjoyed them!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A set of great shots, the first three images show natures ninja technique just perfectly.
It is indeed amazing how well-designed they are for hiding in the greenery.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Great sets--those dragon/damselfly shots, especially, must have take a lot of patience. Otherwise, it's surprising to me, but I prefer the second, non-CPL shot of the Luna moth here--you don't lose anything in terms of color saturation, and water drops on the may apple add a little sparkle.

FWIW, here's a Luna I found down in our local urban wilderness a few month's back--missed the DOF a bit with the antennae (Saturniiadea are such little chunks.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101405209@N02/26393562385/in/dateposted-public/
Thanks for expressing your preference in the CP experiment - oh, and thanks for the link to your Luna photo. They sure are fat little critter ("not fat, just fluffy!")

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
A wonderful series. Enjoyed them all.
Thanks so much!

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
Nice series! I like the second photo of the moth--it seems to have a little more contrast/punch...it was this with our without polarizer? Loved the final photo of the tattered American Lady.
Yes, #2 was without the polarizer - thanks! Glad you enjoyed "Mrs. American."

QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Great series of butterfly shots!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Nice shots! I know from experience that's it's not easy to get shots like that. Well done.
Glad you liked them. We are blessed with MANY fine insect habitats here...
06-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This camouflage is amazing, i too prefer the second picture of the moth.
06-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The last one of the series of the moth is your best. Amazing detail!
06-12-2016, 01:17 AM   #13

I like these photos., specially the second shot.
06-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first time I'd seen one of those really large green Luna moths was on a trip to Southern Georgia a few years ago. they're georgous! I've yet to see one here in Central Florida
06-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series. I got to find time to go out and capture some myself.