Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
To everything, Tern, Tern, Tern
Lens: DA*200 2.8 Camera: K-3 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: normhead, 06-09-2016, 03:10 PM

DA*200 with some combination of the 1.7 and 1.4 TC. Flying birds with the DA*200 and 1.7. Stationary birds with both TCs stacked. The DA*200 is way to slow on it's own with or without the 1.4 TC, but use the 1.7 as a focus limiter and it's awesome.

to everything Tern Tern Tern, there is a season

Forster's Tern








I know some of you find these puns a little hard to Swallow.


In the future I'll try and Sparrow you the humour.



Views: 785
06-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,234
Great shots Norm!

Really like the BiF ones.
06-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,395
Ha, a great set--the second of the "tern-y" caracole is especially nice.
06-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,380
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Great shots Norm!

Really like the BiF ones.
Good, those birds drove me crazy. Following Terns is tough. I was lucky there was a school of minnows right in front of me they were diving for. The local fishermen assured me, the minnows are never this close to shore, and the Terns are usually further out in the channel.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Ha, a great set--the second of the "tern-y" caracole is especially nice.
Yes, it has character that one. Thanks for commenting.

06-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 17
Awesome Series Norm first and second shot are my fav!
The DA* 200 is on my list of lenses I would love to own!
06-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,391
Norm: The second one is pure poetry in motion.

Tim
06-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,380
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve T Quote
Awesome Series Norm first and second shot are my fav!
The DA* 200 is on my list of lenses I would love to own!
It was on my list for a couple of years. In the end having the 1.4 TC made the difference. The choice was between the 200 2.8 and 300 4. With the TC the 200 is 280 4, pretty much the same as the 300 4. But the 300 can't be 2.8 no matter what you do to it. And the 200 is a relatively light lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Norm: The second one is pure poetry in motion.

Tim
Thanks for commenting Tim.
06-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Fulton County, Illinois
Posts: 2,617
One good tern deserves another.


I especially like picture two.

06-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,379
Norm, you hen'dle your camera like a pro and that is surely something to crow about, isn't it.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-11-2016 at 02:32 AM.
06-11-2016, 05:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,380
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
One good tern deserves another.


I especially like picture two.
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Norm, you hen'dle your camera like a pro and that is surely something to crow about, isn't it.
That;s the spirit you two,

QuoteOriginally posted by thanhhao652 Quote
beautiful pics
Thanks for commenting.
06-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,493
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
DA*200 with some combination of the 1.7 and 1.4 TC. Flying birds with the DA*200 and 1.7. Stationary birds with both TCs stacked. The DA*200 is way to slow on it's own with or without the 1.4 TC, but use the 1.7 as a focus limiter and it's awesome.

to everything Tern Tern Tern, there is a season

Forster's Tern
Good work!

I spent some time at Pt. Pelee trying to photograph Black Terns, so I know how hard it is to get a tern in your viewfinder long enough to actually take a picture!
06-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17
I like the second picture the best! Beautiful composition. Great job nailing the focus!
06-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,380
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Good work!

I spent some time at Pt. Pelee trying to photograph Black Terns, so I know how hard it is to get a tern in your viewfinder long enough to actually take a picture!
It was all about the minnows. After that it's all about AF-c, 27 focus points , focus priority burst mode and trying to to keep a tern in your viewfinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by gesavard Quote
I like the second picture the best! Beautiful composition. Great job nailing the focus!
In that one I got two Terns in focus... how improbable is that? And the one guy is hanging in the air about to dive for a minnow. I have to admit, the first 20 minutes was just an exercise in frustration trying to take pictures of birds to close to the camera for tracking to work.
06-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Suhail's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mississauga
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 264
normhead,

Our interest in wildlife photography are similar.

If you recall you posted several posts on a question I had asked (K-1 versus K-3ii) on the forum. I finally got convinced that I am getting K-3ii for now and K-1 in November or December.

So I am going out more for birds photography.

I liked your shots of terns, tree swallow, and house sparrow. I was myself shooting tree swallows at Island Lake Conservation Area in Ontario via K-5 IIs.
06-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,380
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
normhead,

Our interest in wildlife photography are similar.

If you recall you posted several posts on a question I had asked (K-1 versus K-3ii) on the forum. I finally got convinced that I am getting K-3ii for now and K-1 in November or December.

So I am going out more for birds photography.

I liked your shots of terns, tree swallow, and house sparrow. I was myself shooting tree swallows at Island Lake Conservation Area in Ontario via K-5 IIs.
You're from Mississauga, I used to teach photography at Philip Pocock Secondary school in Mississaga. As I recall, Island lake is Canada Goose and turtle heaven. I was n it in a canoe once.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
birds, camera, da*200, photo, tc, tern
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Forster's Tern slowpez Post Your Photos! 4 03-14-2016 12:01 PM
Nature Black tern in flight Weevil Post Your Photos! 6 11-07-2014 02:40 AM
Nature Foster's Tern slowpez Post Your Photos! 6 05-22-2012 04:54 AM
Nature My Tern Harish Hegde Post Your Photos! 8 05-02-2011 08:03 PM
ID this tern pingflood Post Your Photos! 7 07-13-2009 07:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top