Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Very Pretty, Very Yellow, Very Big Flower.
Lens: Pentax 18~55mm Camera: Pentax K100D Super Photo Location: Sherwood Forest ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Tonytee, 06-09-2016, 07:08 PM

This was a lot of fun working for the photo and also in Post Photo Editing. Did some resizing, cloning and healing and a bit of sharpening. Thanks for viewing. I know that this is not the critique section, but please feel free to offer any comments/suggestions.

Regards,

Antonio

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 

Views: 919
06-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
MSL
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad you admitted to the cloning etc. Even if I were the best photog in the world, it is rare to find a flower around here without some sort of visual blemish.

One minor suggestion - but may not be worth the work - I think this would work well as a 1:1 crop. I tried a couple of images like that (which I posted earlier today), and it was the best option based on my starting images, even though it is not an aspect ratio I usually consider.
06-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good detail, it has the texture of Crepe Paper............very nice.
06-09-2016, 11:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Glad you admitted to the cloning etc. Even if I were the best photog in the world, it is rare to find a flower around here without some sort of visual blemish.

One minor suggestion - but may not be worth the work - I think this would work well as a 1:1 crop. I tried a couple of images like that (which I posted earlier today), and it was the best option based on my starting images, even though it is not an aspect ratio I usually consider.
Hello MSL. Thank you very much for your input. I have to admit I am not aware as to how create a 1:1 crop. Would you mind cluing me in?

Again, many thanks.

Antonio

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 11:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Thank you EM. I very much appreciate your input. I am curious as to why I had to resort to sharpening. Typically I am confident that when I took the photograph, it was sharp, in focus. Must be when I upload from camera to computer? I must be losing resolution upon uploading.

Rgds,

Antonio

Last edited by Tonytee; 06-09-2016 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Additional Information
06-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hello MSL. Thank you very much for your input. I have to admit I am not aware as to how create a 1:1 crop. Would you mind cluing me in?

Again, many thanks.

Antonio

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 11:55 PM ----------

Thank you EM. I very much appreciate your input. I am curious as to why I had to resort to sharpening. Typically I am confident that when I took the photograph, it was sharp, in focus. Must be when I upload from camera to computer? I must be losing resolution upon uploading.

Rgds,

Antonio
Your best bet is to buy a card reader for uploading to the PC not only is it much quicker but you're not draining the battery in your camera. Having said that though I cand see how uploading shots to your PC would cause them to lose sharpness.
06-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #6
MSL
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have to admit I am not aware as to how create a 1:1 crop. Would you mind cluing me in?
Antonio - not hard at all - and my fault for not being clearer. What I mean is an aspect ratio of 1:1 - so the length and height of the photo are the same. i.e. a square photo.
Your current image is 1019x900 so it is close to 1:1 but not quite. We get used to looking at things that are either square, or very not-square like the normal 3:2 ratio of a standard print, or a sheet of paper (8.5x11 = 1:1.29 or 8.25x11.75 = 1:1.42) but things that are slightly off from an aspect ratio we are familiar with can see odd without us realizing why, just like things with the right shape feel right even if we aren't conscious of why.
06-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicely done Antonio. I'm in the same boat regarding the understanding of aspect ratios and loss of IQ when down sizing and uploading. Thank you MSL for your explanation. Helps a lot.
My laptop has a card reader but I still seem to lose a little IQ when posting to the forum. Admittedly I'm about as computer challenged as one could be so I know there's an answer to fixing this. Just haven't figured it out yet.
Again, a very nice image Tonytee.
06-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
MSL
Veteran Member

You aren't going to lose any resolution going from card to computer. Where you lose resolution is every time you resize an image, or even if you repeatedly resave a JPG image after making only small changes. And you can also lose a bit of resolution when an image is displayed if the program doing the displaying does its own scaling, for example. Some image formats are loss-less - such as TIFF. But ones like JPG will sacrifice a bit of the data in order to make MUCH smaller files. And any time you start throwing out the data it becomes a downhill process where each subsequent loss takes something more away from the image.

---------- Post added 06-10-16 at 10:37 AM ----------

I'll add a shameless plug to the 1:1 images I posted, just to show a couple of square examples

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/323224-nature-testing...r-takumar.html

06-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You aren't going to lose any resolution going from card to computer. Where you lose resolution is every time you resize an image, or even if you repeatedly resave a JPG image after making only small changes. And you can also lose a bit of resolution when an image is displayed if the program doing the displaying does its own scaling, for example. Some image formats are loss-less - such as TIFF. But ones like JPG will sacrifice a bit of the data in order to make MUCH smaller files. And any time you start throwing out the data it becomes a downhill process where each subsequent loss takes something more away from the image.

I'll add a shameless plug to the 1:1 images I posted, just to show a couple of square examples

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/323224-nature-testing...r-takumar.html

Thanks MSL. Very helpful to me.
06-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it a lot Antonio!
06-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

I can certainly attest to what you are saying regarding the issue of saving JPEG files too often. I had downloaded FastStones Photo Resizer, and used one particular batch to practice on to familiarize myself with the software. Truth be told, I destroyed some very important photos. I was able to get into the originals and get them all back to where they belonged. I have checked on Best Buy's pricing for a card reader and surprisingly they are rather inexpensive. I am also trying the PictBridge on my Dell AIO (All In One) inkjet printer. I believe the benefit will be bypassing the use of the lengthy cord that came with the camera. I will be sure to post an update in the very near future. I want to thank everyone for the incredibly helpful assistance offered.

Regards,

Antonio
06-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I agree Em, very delicate.
06-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
I like it a lot Antonio!
I thank you very much, Janse.

Antonio
06-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice Tony
06-12-2016, 03:45 AM   #15

may be, it is just me.But i don't find it tackle sharp.