Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
New focus stacking rail
Posted By: Nass, 06-10-2016, 11:52 PM

Just a fyi - I've done a review of the WeMacro rail, which is an electronic rail like stackshot only a lot cheaper ($300 vs. S560). I also have stackrail coming, another competitor to Stackshot, so I should be able to add a side by side review of all 3 soon.
Views: 4,667
06-11-2016, 02:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool tool!
06-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Just a fyi - I've done a review of the WeMacro rail, which is an electronic rail like stackshot only a lot cheaper ($300 vs. S560). I also have stackrail coming, another competitor to Stackshot, so I should be able to add a side by side review of all 3 soon.
I'm looking forward to seeing your review of the stackrail.

Last edited by TomTom; 06-11-2016 at 10:21 AM.
06-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
awesome! thanks for posting.

03-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is great - looking to get one of these soon.
I also appreciate all the fine work you present in your Extreme Macro site.
03-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I see the WeMacro supports HDR operation of the camera for multiple images at each step. I am exploring combining HDR with focus stacking. Have you ever considered this and if so do you have a preferred methodology?
I see that Affinity software offers both Focus Stacking and HDR - I have a question put to them about taking their HDR images and putting them into a focus stack.
Thanks
Bob
03-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Placed an order for this rail today. Thank you for posting this and the link to Extreme Macro Photography
Your articles led me to try Zerene and BugSlabber - they work terrific - thanks for the information.

05-11-2017, 02:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Johan.

Just curious if you have tried one of these newly introduced Helicon FB Tubes? This looks like a terrific idea. If it works well it probably will be "my take in the field" stacking solution.

I would appreciate your thoughts - about the idea and experience if you have used one.

Helicon FB Tube - Helicon Soft

Thanks
Bob
05-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Bob,

It does look like a terrific idea indeed, but I don't have one myself. I know of several other competent people trying it out, so let me get back to you with the consensus once there is one! Not sure if I like that it is tied into Helicon though, Zerene is the higher quality package.

-Johan
05-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Johan

I use Zerene - once the images are captured they should work with any stacking software. I also think it could be used for landscapes - provide zero to infinity focus at just about any f stop?

I look forward to hearing what your friends determine using the device.
05-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Response from Helicon about being able to use the Helicon FB Tube with any stacking software and also if it can be used for landscape photography.
Response: Yes, the images will work with any other focus stacking software and you can use Helicon FB Tube for landscape photography.
05-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Naas,

First of all, thanks for your great site! Being housebound this past winter, macro was a logical area to put my efforts, so I have spent a lot of time on your site.

I am currently putting together a basic macro studio, and a focus rail is penciled in for Phase II which is scheduled for fall. I'll look forward to seeing your review.
05-22-2017, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Used the WeMacro on battery power controlled by my Android phone via Bluetooth for this image of a peony from my yard. Stacked with Zerene Stacker
05-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yay, I like that. Nice!
05-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi Bob,

It does look like a terrific idea indeed, but I don't have one myself. I know of several other competent people trying it out, so let me get back to you with the consensus once there is one! Not sure if I like that it is tied into Helicon though, Zerene is the higher quality package.

-Johan
Hi Johan

Just curious if you have gotten ant feedback on the Helicon FB Tube. I think it would be ideal for field photography.

Thanks
Bob